New to the 6.0 have injector issues.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No bueno.
Has the egr and cooler been deleted? Just wishful thinking, but I would be planning to do the headgaskets. Personally I would get a set of heads from chaote engineering performance....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No and the owner does not want to run a tuner so EGR will not be deleted. I am looking at a kit from KT enterprises 1136 for the head gasket kit with a new factory oil cooler

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no white puffs of smoke when I first start the truck up with the cooling system pressurized so I do not believe the EGR cooler is shot

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BulletProofDiesel makes a replacement EGR cooler for the 05 and up model years. It is a HIGHLY recommended upgrade.

It is not straightforward distinguishing between EGR cooler failures and head gasket failures when a cooling system "over-pressure" has been experienced. IMO you need to remove and pressure test the EGR cooler. If in fact it has not failed, then proceed with head gasket job. Even if it hasn't failed, the BPD EGR cooler upgrade should be done for reliability reasons. Sometimes a cooling system will overpressure if the coolant concentration is very weak (ie way below 50/50). Sometimes the degas bottle will vent because it was overfilled and there was excessive pressure built as the liquid/coolant expanded when it was heated. You need to make sure these things haven't ocurred.

To answer earlier questions:
1, The FICM has 3 voltages. MPower is the 48 volts for the injector spool valve solenoids. LPower is the voltage for the Logic board. It should be close to vehicle power, but it has its own fuse and relay. VPower which is just the vehicle electrical system voltage.
2. Injectors are HIGHLY likely to all be bad. Running out of fuel is a killer to these injectors. In fact, low fuel pressure (below 45 psig) will cause damage fairly quickly.

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be testing the EGR cooler but he said go ahead and put head gaskets in it. Injectors are on their way and the FICM tested good in all aspects. I will address the cooler when I get the engine tore down. Now the fun part of pulling a cab

Last edited:

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an fyi ...... The logic board in the FICM can fail. It can only be tested by one or two companies (simply looking at voltage means nothing when it comes to the performance of the logic board).

Are you going to install ARP head studs also? Be sure the heads are flat and not cracked. Also, there is a minimum thickness on those heads for valve train geometry.

Lots of talk about Cometic head gaskets being very, very good.

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heads are going to go to a machine shop. And yes head studs from ARP are being installed. And that would figure that the logic board could fail and I couldn't test it

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Perfect time for a new oil cooler.....
Hate to "spend someone's money," but some things are just requirements.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Staff online