New to diesel

DinoKiller

Lost Spark
Reaction score
Signed up the other day, but I'm on leave (vacation for non military folks). Any way before I went on leave I picked up my new to me purchace before heading out. I bought an 04 Silverado 2500HD, it was an old ranch vehicle so has about 194k on the clock. The dealer included a 5th wheel, and brake controler in the deal so not bad. It's a crew cab long bed that I bought to tow my house, a 33ft trailer. Once I get back, and get a reliable internet connection set up I'm sure I'll be on here to pick the brains of the Dmax gurus here. It's a little different for me as I've been a Ford guy, but the Ford dealership didn't want to make a deal on a couple used trucks so I got the Dmax. So far I know I need to fix the drivers door controls. They don't always work. From what I can tell I got the LB7 engine since the 8th digit in the vin is a 1. I don't plan on getting to crazy with it, but want to do the usual intake/exhaust for mpg gains. Any advice on what to get, and what to stay away from? If you couldn't guess by the title of this thread this is my first diesel vehicle.

DinoKiller

Lost Spark
Reaction score
So first off just get intake, and exhaust to help the mpg for now, and look into a tuner down the line? Once I finally get moved I'll be ridding a bike to work since I'll live less than a mile from work. Now I was wondering would an exhaust manifold be of any benefit right now, or is that for the seriously modded engines? I'm just asking cause I was thumbing trough an issue of diesel power magazine that I picked up, and noticed a few manufactures had them listed in the mag. I know a diesel is a different animal than a gasser, but as far as exhaust goes don't you want a little bit of back pressure even though it's a turbo? I'm asking in relation to size of exhaust. I don't plan on going bigger than a 4in exhaust, but I've seen some 5in, and I think I saw an ad for 7in. Those are more for the tuned up big turbo/dual turbo trucks right? Sorry for all the questions, and long post's, but I'm outta my element here with a diesel. I would rather hear someone that's been their done that, instead of reading about how an intake is tested in a closed lab under ideal conditions.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Get her to breath first then start throwing the fuel to her (intake and exhaust). Depending on the level of mods you want to do will determine how big of an exhaust you will need. 4 in or 5 in exhaust would be all that I would consider for something I would be driving on the street. The higher flow exhaust manifold will help even a grocery getter truck - lessens the spool time of the turbo. I have one and could see a slight difference in spool time. I didn't notice much in the way of lower exhaust temps but I don't watch them all that close so... A buddy of mine added a programer to his 24v dodge without doing any other mods and we can see the effects of having a stock intake and exhaust system - he can hit some pretty serious egt's in a hurry and she feels likes she's choking a bit under heavy pedal. It did help but after playing with it some he needs to get her to breath better. I have always started with air first then fuel and it has worked for me.

DinoKiller

Lost Spark
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was planning on intake/exhaust. I think I'll start their and then look at the manifold, and programer. I basically want something that has an economy tune for a 1-2 extra mpg, and a towing tune for when I have to tow my 5th wheel. I'm not looking to get all crazy with the performance of it right now. Also how critical would you say a set of guages is? Should that be my first purchace, or can it wait a little since I won't be towing right away?

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Keep it simple at first until you get used to it. Intake and exhaust are the first on the list as you already know. Being prior military myself, I'm guessing that budget has to be figured in as well.LOL Personally, I have an MBRP cat back exhaust still waiting to be installed. I like MBRP. Good quality and can be had a decent price. Your truck is older with no emmisions crap so I'd go 4" turbo back. You can get aluminized for around $400 or SS for $600-700. I have aluminized because I live in a very dry climate and corrosion is not an issue. As far as intakes. Do your research. In my opinion, if I were going with an oiled filter, I would buy an S & B. If you want a dry filter, I would go with AFE. I haven't personally used either. My truck is an LBZ and so far the aftermarket can't improve on the stock system for mild use. These are just my opinions. Both systems will set you back about $300. Two other items to consider that are not necessarily performance related, but will help with service life in these "hi performance" diesels are a bypass oil filter system and a secondary fuel filter system. The FS2500 for oil and Nicktane system for fuel come to mind. You don't want to have to replace a set of injectors in one of these because of poor fuel quality. These are on my to-do list as well. They'll both run about $250 a piece.

Oh yea. Welcome to the site!

Tom

DinoKiller

Lost Spark
Reaction score
Tom, thanks for the input and welcome. I was looking at the s&b dry filter that they have. I'm not to worried about corrosion as right now I live in the desert, but am worried about dust and sand getting down the intake. I was also thinking about the fuel filter since I've ready that GM only has 1 fuel filter, unlike what I've heard from a couple guys with powerstrokes that run 2 filters for the fuel. I hadn't considered a 2nd oil filter, but that is also a good idea thanks. Also yes you are right a budget is involved so it will be a slow process putting stuff on the truck.

Eric