New TDI Beetle Owner

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So became the owner of a 2001 Beetle TDI yesterday. Have owned and been around diesels of all types including on road and off. This is my first experience with a small diesel like this. When we first drove it it had no boost and couldn't get out of it's own way. After a little research i found the 3 most likely causes, MAF, turbo vanes and clogged intake. I was buying it from a young mechanic who picked up to resell. He checked it and replaced the MAF.
Power was considerably improved. However, when floored it runs up the RPM's fast and king of hangs at 40 mph then shifts and takes off nicely. There seems to be a power lag in between those points. Normal?

Also is there any power mods that are relative easy such as power chips for diesel PU's?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would do malone for tuning.
I would say clogged intake. Problem with the beetle is no room to work at all. Might as well pull the engine. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Is it an automatic? Is it lagging at a gear change point if so?

I would also suggest replacing all the vacuum hoses while you are in there. The VGT is run off of vacuum, so if it has a hole the veins will be in the default fully open position. Does is set a check engine code on a hard 3rd gear pull from idle to redline?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online