New Project 6.9 E350, what did I get myself into.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the sludge in the "new" heads...... Just want to make sure it's not from valve guides.......

6moose9

Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the sludge in the "new" heads...... Just want to make sure it's not from valve guides.......
I can grab a picture in the next day or two. It defiantly looks like the bulk of the sludge it’s above the valve and springs, more around the push rod holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like a nice van. I've been looking for IDI for a couple years now. That last one I saw that I liked was $7500 and I balked. Van was sold the next day. Still looking. You're making good progress, keep up the good work.

6moose9

Reaction score
That looks like a nice van. I've been looking for IDI for a couple years now. That last one I saw that I liked was $7500 and I balked. Van was sold the next day. Still looking. You're making good progress, keep up the good work.
Thanks man, this quarantine is a perfect time so I’m trying to take advantage of it. There’s a pretty low mileage one out here in LA on Craigslist for $3500. It’s been up for about a month. Pretty clean.

6moose9

Reaction score
Update: sent the heads to the machine shop to get inspected/worked on. Got all my gaskets and seals yesterday, along with my studs. Was bored today and ended up painting and cleaning engine parts. Tomorrow going to install my front and rear crank seals into there homes, check the timing on my motor and seal up the front plate and water pump. Pretty much get everything ready for the heads whenever they’re finished. Then hopefully while I’m waiting for them this week, going to update my fuel system with an e pump and new lines, clean the tanks and hard line. Figure it’ll be way easier to do with the motor out.

Here’s my pan and intake with its first coat of new paint.
You must be registered for see images attach

6moose9

Reaction score
Been a little bit so I thought I’d give more updates. Been using this time to my advantage and got a bunch done on the van this month. A lot of steps forward a couple back but getting really close to putting the motor back in.

Had two sets of heads that I took into the machine shop to get inspect before I figured out what I was going to do. The original heads from my blown motor ended up having a small crack in one valve seat and the new motors heads had three cracked valve seats. I ended up getting the old heads freshened up along with new exhaust guides and a valve job.
While the heads were at the shop I redid my lower end bearings. Everything checked out so I just wanted fresh bearings so I could somewhat sleep at night. I replaced both main seals and resealed my oil cooler along with a new water pump. I ended up finding a small pin hole in my oil AFTER I sealed up it so I had to pull it off and fix that.
Got the heads back two days ago and spent the night installing my head studs and heads and motor is looking somewhat brand new and fresh and clean!

In between all that while the heads were getting worked on I also wanted to update my fuel system on the van. I pulled both tanks out, drained what old gas was in them out. Check both senders, replaced the line on each and notched them so I don’t have to do it again. Cleaned all my fuel hard lines out and replaced all the soft lines. I also am going to an electric pump along with ditching the stock water separator. I built this bracket with some inspiration from what I’ve seen you can buy out there. Didn’t have the money to fork out for the RD fuel set up I wanted so I built my own.

It was a little tricky finding somewhere to fit the whole setup but I was able to mount it up and I mount it so it covers up my fuel selector valve. I’m going to wire everything up so it can disconnect if the selector ever takes a ****. Routed new feed and return lines after the filter set up and I’m waiting on some parts to come in so I can build a junction before the IP. I found a three way manifold that I’m going to put a fuel pressure gauge, fuel pressure gauge sender, and bleeder valve and my feed line down to the IP. Debating on going to a an flex line or just regular fuel line to the IP.

(The junction block I’m gonna use)

With all that done the next phase I’m on is the glow plug harness along with all the other wiring that sits with it. (Temp gauge, IP wiring).
I’m upgrading to the new glow plug system so hopefully have that built this week.

Kind of long winded and quick but I’m trying to do all the things you guys recommend to get these IDI’s running reliably and am super thankful for all the information this forum and you guys have to offer.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude. I love all the work you are putting into this IDI Van. You have the same fuel setup as I have (I mounted mine on the crossmember), and also, your junction block is very similar to my fuel manifold I made.

I was able to check my fuel pressure in the bay with the mechanical gauge on the hub, and put in a fuel pressure electrical sensor for the gauge in my overhead pod, and get a temp sensor for my fuel temp (for the biofuel circuit), and have a bleeder extension to reach up to the top of the radiator area.

You're going to love having that stock filter gone. Such a pain to drain in the engine bay, and it blocks all the driver's side injectors from the front of the engine bay. Putting the dual filters on the rail is a life saver.

I bet putting that block in without the intake made it really easy. I've been able to remove the engine with the IP and injector lines still in, but by lifting the body a few inches up off the frame. After than, I thought it was more hassle to lift the body than to just remove the IP and injectors and lines, then lift it with the intake in place. It's tight, but doable.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Removing the intake should make it a much easier job.

Awesome work. keep the pictures coming.

6moose9

Reaction score
Dude. I love all the work you are putting into this IDI Van. You have the same fuel setup as I have (I mounted mine on the crossmember), and also, your junction block is very similar to my fuel manifold I made.

I was able to check my fuel pressure in the bay with the mechanical gauge on the hub, and put in a fuel pressure electrical sensor for the gauge in my overhead pod, and get a temp sensor for my fuel temp (for the biofuel circuit), and have a bleeder extension to reach up to the top of the radiator area.

You're going to love having that stock filter gone. Such a pain to drain in the engine bay, and it blocks all the driver's side injectors from the front of the engine bay. Putting the dual filters on the rail is a life saver.

I bet putting that block in without the intake made it really easy. I've been able to remove the engine with the IP and injector lines still in, but by lifting the body a few inches up off the frame. After than, I thought it was more hassle to lift the body than to just remove the IP and injectors and lines, then lift it with the intake in place. It's tight, but doable.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Removing the intake should make it a much easier job.

Awesome work. keep the pictures coming.
Thanks man!
I actually got the idea for the bleed junction from your site. I’m the dude that bought that EM off you last month. Thanks for doing it first so I didn’t have to figure it out. Can’t wait to get it running. Hoping by the end of the month.

6moose9

Reaction score
Made some head way this past week.

Wired up my fuel pump

Made new ground battery cables

Built my glow plug harness with the 6.0 connectors

Did my injector return lines

Got driveshaft, tranny and motor all torque’d

Went through all the stuff in the back of the van (parts storage) and cleaned it up and got rid of what I don’t need.

Got oil in the motor and cranked it over!

6moose9

Reaction score
I do have some questions for you guys.

First is, I tried to build oil pressure in the motor since it was pretty much bone dry when I put it in. I have a mechanical pressure gauge setup at the back of the motor where the stock one usually is. I cranked it over for a good 5 mins at 30 second intervals but no oil pressure what so ever. Wondering if I need to crank longer or if I should have pressure by then?

The other is I’m having problem figure out the wait to start light setup. I converted from the old style system to the new style system with a manual push button. I’m obviously doing something wrong. I read a couple different write ups on converting it but they were a little confusing. I was able to get the glow plugs working but I did something wrong because the wait to start light comes on when I ground my GP controller with the push button. And the only wait to start light wire I was able to find was at the glow plug fender relay. I have a wire from that running down to my controller to the power side. All I would like to accomplish is to have to light come on when I ground the controller. Hope that makes sense, I’m new go easy.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you fill the oil filter before you put it in? If not this is why no oil pressure. The #1995 style oil filter is BIG! Remove the glow plugs and crank it some more.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Another thing to do is to prime the oil pump before you install it (a little bit late at this point). This will make it pick up oil right away. What we always did at the shop I used to work at was to put some oil inside the pump and spin it over by hand until we felt some resistance. Then the pump is primed.