new oil cooler assembly - source ?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a source for purchasing an entire oil cooler assembly ready to bolt onto the truck ?

Tired of rebuilding this thing only to have it leak when it gets cold. Yes I have used OEM gaskets each time.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is yours leaking? From the tube seals or at the block? I had a cooler that kept leaking and I resurfaced the mating surface like you would decking a block and no more issues.

If you want to go all new you can find them on eBay, get an idit cooler they have more tubes.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after seeing the cost of a "new" cooler, I just rebuilt the GD thing again with OEM gaskets. Nothing obvious as to why it would leak.

sitting in my shop with the engine on hi idle for 30 minutes after putting it all together there is no leak

however I believe the leak shows itself when the temperature drops to near zero.....time will tell.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem with mine. Tried OEM gaskets with (and without) RTV, also tried aftermarket. I got tired of draining 11 gallons of coolant and 2.5 gallons of oil for a silly paper gasket.

I took both cooler heads to a machine shop, and sure enough I had a low spot in the front header.

I'd bet you get that straightened out, and it will quit leaking on your final repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry you are having a continued leak issue. Might try this next time you remove the cooler. If you know for sure the gaskets from heads to block are the leakers just lap the headers. You can build a lapping wheel in any garage too. Find a mirror about 12 inches square. Glass will work but a mirror is much flatter because if it had any waves in it your reflection is distorted like an amusement park house of mirrors. 300 or 400 grit lapping compound is easy to find anywhere. Or glue a piece of 400 grit on same mirror. A couple of strokes will show any high or low spots.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is one being given away in the free section. Might be worth picking up if you suspect damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Is there a source for purchasing an entire oil cooler assembly ready to bolt onto the truck ?

Tired of rebuilding this thing only to have it leak when it gets cold. Yes I have used OEM gaskets each time.

If this is your OBS, I recommend the superduty oil cooler. The check/relief valves fell out of my '95.

I had no problems with a used one.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm 99% certain there was actually a update. No more staked ones being made, all snap ring.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I'm 99% certain there was actually a update. No more staked ones being made, all snap ring.

With my luck, I'd have got old stock if I'd ordered new.

I checked rockauto, the cooler & ends are available. Dorman brand. The pics show the snap rings :Thumbs Up

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Most likely reason for warped head surface is overtightening. The heads only have 5/16 bolts, no need to torque them down to 100 lbs. Gary (icanfixall) has it right, use a known flat surface and some wet/dry sandpaper and you can flatten your head out again. Dilly dilly, easy peasy.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still no leak, but we also have not had hella cold (below zero) since the repair.