New member here, with some odd stuff

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

New guy here. Here's my daily, a 1985 Jeep Cherokee with the Renault 2.1 turbo diesel. I've learned a lot about this motor in last year on the road with it.

Currently working on a diesel conversion in my 1991 Mazda B2600i 4x4. I'm putting a Mitsubishi 4d55t engine from a 1985 Dodge Ram 50 in it.

Looking forward to participating in this group, learning, sharing, and burning more oil!

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I wanted to give a shout-out to the mods here.

I had been trying to be a member over on Diesel Bombers. But I got frustrated with posts not showing up\needing approval, and with only being able to post limited pics per post.

I also appreciate the lack of an area like "the Badlands". Family friendly is perfect for this guy!

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jealous of the diesel Cherokee. Welcome to the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This diesel Cherokee is always a conversation starter. Especially at the fuel pumps here in Oregon. "Diesel? In a Jeep? Are you sure?" Lol

It was given to me 4 years ago. And sat in my field until last March. I figured out my uncle put the timing belt on wrong(ip was two notches too advanced.) Once I figured that out, my wife and I tore out the carpet and put down a rubber mat floor kit, and I pulled the headliner, 'glassed it, and covered it in grey speaker carpet. I've put 10k on it since making it my daily in July. I drive this thing everywhere.
It's still very much a project though. I am working on eliminating all the vacuum controls for red and heater, and converting to cable controls(for the heaters. Like a cj kinda) and a lever system for the 4wd.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool odd balls!
I miss my 4x4 mazda.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i would love to have an old boxy Jeep like that with a diesel engine! i cant imagine there are to many of them around.

how are they to get parts for?

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not TOO bad. As long as you're not in a hurry.

About half the XJs sold in Europe had this engine. Here in the states I can get (expensive) parts from a Winnebago supplier in the mid West. Only other vehicles here that used the engine are the space balls style Winnebagos.

I can still get brand new aftermarket heads from china for $350 shipped.

Belts and such are easy. Rock Auto has some parts too.

The rest of the jeep is standard early Cherokee stuff. Same trans as the 2.8 v6 models.

In 1985 your engine choices were the 2.1td, 2.5 gas or 2.8 gas. With those other two doggy choices why not go with a little diesel?!?

I get 21mpg all day long with the auto. My uncle's friend reportedly got closer to 28 with his manual.

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But the Renault J8S engine was pretty commonplace in the Renault lineup, being in sedans, wagons, and even little delivery vans like the ones the Winnebago were based on(Winnebago bought the vans as knock-down kits and assembled them over here as motorhomes).