new hydraulics - noisy ?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replaced the crappy plastic slave/master assembly that ford decided was a good idea with PERFECTION CLUTCH PF9021 since it is made with an aluminum slave and master cylinder.

Now I get a noise in the truck that is tuned to the rpm of the engine when engaging the clutch. No noise when clutch to the floor or released. Just in transition when starting out or shifting gears.

Could something have not aligned properly on the slave end ?

The aluminum housing is 10x better than the plastic as it is snug against the bell housing and firewall.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...021/99979028-P

Anyone have an idea as to what is wrong ?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Imo, you can't exactly install it wrong.
Maybe bumped the clutch fork off its pivot or something.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah it's pretty hard to screw up, but alas I have this noise although the truck shifts 10x better than with the crappy plastic that FORD bean counters went with

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm bringing home the video borescope from work, intending to pull the slave cylinder and look into the bellhousing to see what's going on.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nothing obvious with the scope looking into the slave cylinder opening. The fork slides back and forth smooth and easily. I did lube the shaft a bit with some grease where the bearing rides while in there but no change.

I'll just keep driving it until things get noisier or expensive lol

clint bartels

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your slave isn't transferring noise direct to the firewall is it try puting your hand on it while a helper duplicates your issue.

But you know use your head IE: not while your moving :drunk:

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your slave isn't transferring noise direct to the firewall is it try puting your hand on it while a helper duplicates your issue.

This may be the case. I can feel the vibration in the plastic line and master cylinder when the clutch is actuated and it is in perfect harmony with the engine pulses....definitely not a bearing issue.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else who has "upgraded" to the aluminum slave/cylinder assembly has this harmonic problem.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't think mine are aluminum. I think cast iron/steel.
I didn't notice any more vibrations or anything than before.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idea - make a little "gasket" out of a piece of old bike tire innertube, and install between the master and the firewall. See if that makes the noise go away. Even if just temporarily, it'll at least tell you if that's the cause.

Dang, no photo on Advance's web site. And the pics on all the other sites must be wrong, because they show a master with a separate reservoir, and it appears all plastic. (Or they just use some generic pic.) I'd love to see a pic of this setup; it's about time someone made a better complete pre-bled kit.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the website pictures are generic.

It's definitely a quality aftermarket assembly (imagine that)

I might make a "Hybrid" assembly by using the aluminum slave (which is the main failure/slop point) and the plastic master.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kept the aluminum slave, swapped in a plastic master cylinder.....completely quiet with an on the spot clutch pedal. Engages like a new truck.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try the impromptu gasket idea? Still wonder if it's not the metal-on-metal of the master bolted to the firewall. Does the plastic master work any better than the metal one?

BTW, your avatar cracks me up every time. Dude's a comic genius, like most of the early SNL people.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the plastic master work any better than the metal one?

same performance. The problem with these trucks is with the plastic slave and crappy mounting tabs trying to hold under all that force. It honestly drives like a zero mile truck with the aluminum master....no movement whatsoever when working the clutch.