New here, input on he351 turbo?

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new here, not new to the truck and mechanic world just here. So I bought me a truck last week. A 92 crew cab long bed f350 4x4 single rear wheel with a 460 and auto. It has a almost new 460 and auto in it. But I'm looking to swap in a 7.3 idi. I pulled one from my 88 f250 this weekend. It's. 7.3 with a zf5 behind it. Will be swapping it over by summer I hope. I also have a he351 non Vgt turbo form a 04 dodge 5.9 cummins. Do these turbos work well on these engines? engine has recent injection pump reman and I checked my injectors last week one is low on pop pressure they are all reman e codes. I have a pop tester and a ultra sonic cleaner I used to fix the leakage on two of them just need to locate the shims to set pressure where can I find these? Not wanting a full race engine just a good running motor to pull my truck pull truck with. Thanks

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That HE351 should work pretty well for you.It seems like I have seen one on an IDI but I can't remember where. But anyway, sizewise it should be good for what you need...

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May be too much turbo IMHO - I'm guessing it's close to an HX35 for specs, and the HX35 is good for 20+ psi.... would be overkill for ~10 which is the most I'd really want to run without shaving the heads and bit and having a good solid motor. With a turbo period you'll want head studs and solid head gaskets.

I also think that turbo has a different flange from the common T3 and the intake side might be challenging to hook up.

If I was looking for a turbo to work with I'd probably stay away from it, but already having one it might work to throw something together. However, you will want to back the waste gate off quite a bit - it's probably set for 25+ psi.

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
The motor is all stock in great shape didn't blue smoke any and got 16.3 mpg driving real easy in a reg cab 4x4 so I think it's ok internal wise. I bought the turbo from a friend who removed it from his dodge to go bigger got it for $200. Less than 90,000 miles on it. It has a electric conroled wast gate built in it. Maybe a electric two stage boost controller will find its way into the truck when done. I called mahle motor sports today for pistons to lower the compression. The man told me they can build me a set to what ever spec I need but he though a all aluminum forged piece would wear faster than a stock replacement style cast. Says the cast replacement ones have a cast in ring liner to help with ring grove wear this sound right? Any how they had a part number listed for an cast 0.020 shorter piston for a turbo engine with the hard anodized coating on top. Said he wasn't sure if they still stocked them or not have to check tomorrow. How about thicker head gaskets to lower ther comp some anyone done that. I worked with a man who did it to a gas 460. Who makes studs I don't have to go to the bank and get a loan for lol?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better check with Mahle, those pistons may be for a turbo engine which has the larger wrist pins, which require different rods. The only good head studs are ARP.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another way to be able to run more boost would be a cam swap. Some of the cams available will lower dynamic compression a bit. That's an option you can do instead of pistons...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online