New Duramax owner with a question

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok got me a 2003 duramax with the ZF6 speed transmission my question is every once in a while the truck will buck and snort. Seems like its only when its cold and either in first or second. I just got this truck not too long ago I have some fuel filters on order for it so not done that yet. I purchased a PPE economy tuner and on tune 1 and 2 at around 1900 to 2000 rpms it will surge like you stomped on the fuel then it will be ok after say 2100. I sent a email to PPE for any help on that issue so we will see if I can get any information from them. There is no trouble codes any more it did have one for the intake air heater that was just a blown fuse that I guess feeds the fuel filter heater also. Any help would be appreciated.

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems ok with the stock tune
except for the buck and snort part
I am wondering if there is something wrong with the truck I will find out more when I change the fuel filter.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's a good place to start. I would also look into a aftermarket fuel pump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the fuel pump is just the pump needed or should go with an external filter also?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Complete setup.
Normally I wouldn't recommend them because you can't walk into a parts store to get one if it fails but, fass, airdog, ppe, fuel lab, are about your only options.
Factory you don't have a lift pump.
Definitely go for the all in one filter/pump setup.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm sure it's available. But with today's Fuels and the availability of fuel additive, gelling shouldn't be too big a problem.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yup. Would've been a real nice setup.
Some Ford 6.4's can be found with them also.

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok still waiting for the waiting for the water sensor part to come in the mail the old one threads are chewed up pretty bad so no chance to change the filter yet.
For the heated fuel filter I would like to have one because I will most likely be running some percentage of biodiesel in this truck.
Could always just get the pump and make sure I use the best factory style filters available.
Might get the kit to run cat filters in the future but not sure at this time since it sounds like these newer fuel filter designs are real close to the same filtration.