1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Daily Driver

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by snicklas, Mar 16, 2019 at 10:47 AM.

1. snicklas

snicklas 6.0 and Loving It!! Staff Member

Well, after a month and a half of looking, driving all over, being disappointed, looking more, driving more...... I finally found my replacement daily driver.

My 07 P71 was starting to show it's age as tired old police car. I had been keeping up with the issues that would pop up, but when it started consuming coolant (not on the ground, or on the cabin floor, no coolant smell) I decided it was time for it to go. I had been driving the Infinity, but with it getting 12-13 MPG on my commute (It finally would get 14 once I replaced the noisy unit hub), I knew I wanted a full size truck, but was looking more for economy, so the search for a difficult truck was on.

I was looking for the truck no one wants. My non-negotiables were: Regular Cab, 2 Wheel Drive, V-6. Transmission didn't matter, would like a short bed, prefer less than 100,000 miles. So starting my search, for Ford F-150, within 500 miles of home, I'd start out with 2000+ listings. By the time I would narrow down to regular cab, 2wd V-6, I'd be down to 10 or less. Looked at several, drove a few, and finally found the one I wanted.

It's a 2011, F-150 XL, 3.7 V-6, 6 Speed Auto, Regular Cab, 2wd, Long Bed. It has some nicer options, like the better Stereo CD Changer, but still is an XL at heart. Cloth Seat, Rubber Floor, Crank Windows, Manual Locks. In the last couple of days, its says Im an in the 18-19 range on mileage. The seats are amazing, and it is very quiet running down the road. Even though it's a V-6, it will s**t and get if you tell it to..

I only have this picture at the moment, I'll post a few more soon:

IMG_1198.JPG

2. Oledirtypearl86

Oledirtypearl86 Full Access Member

Nice truck glad you found one they are a tough one to find

3. DaveBen

DaveBen Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nice find Scott. I got a Toyota Tacoma, a 2006 2wd stick and 4 cylinder. Gets 20+ mpg if I keep out of it. I put in a new Pioneer stereo.

4. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

Sweet ride Scott. Is that the one you sent me that had real low miles? Those 3.7s are impressive, 300 horse from the factory. Same engine we built a turbo kit for a buddies mustang and it handled the power great.

5. snicklas

No, this one isn’t the one one I sent. That one fell through. They had it priced almost 4 grand over book, and the bank wouldn’t loan that much. Even having 27,000 miles, it being an 07 XL, book is only in the 8,500 range, they were asking over 12, and wouldn’t go lower than 11.

This one is newer, but has 76,000 on it. I was surprised how much power it has. Dad has a 2.7 EcoBoost in a 4x4 SuperCrew, and it’s will move. This 3.7 is just as peppy as the 5.6 V-8 in the Infiniti. I’m really happy with it. The seats are extremely comfortable, it’s very quiet running down the road, and with the 6 speed, it just putts along. 55-60 is less than 1500 rpm. The time consumed to find it was worth it. It should last a long time, as I’ve seen many of the V-6’s upward of 200,000 miles. Now, hopefully I can get back to some of the other things I’ve needed to get done.

Danielle and Thewespaul like this.
  6. snicklas

Yep, if I had wanted a 4x4 SuperCrew,there are thousands of them out there. Plus being “north” (I’m in central Indiana) so more demand for a 4x4. I didn’t want a 4x4 for a daily driver. If the weather calls for a 4x4, I’ll drive one of the ones I have, I didn’t need another one.

Oledirtypearl86 likes this.
  7. laserjock

laserjock Almost there... Supporting Member

Nice find Scott.

I’ve been struggling with what to do for a commuter. Like you, I have 4wdvehicles for bad weather. I spend an hour each way min in the car (sometimes much more) so comfort is a selling point. Not sure what I’m going to do. I can keep driving the RAV but I’d honestly like to park it for winter use. I dunno. I’ve thought about going the route you went too. The fuel mileage would be a killer for me though. I’d rather see 30’s than teens.

8. subway

subway be nice to the admin :D

looks like a real nice truck! i can tell you are living it up asking for less than 100k on the odo LOL i usually am looking at 200 to 250 on them already by the time i get a vehicle.

i figure they must have most of the bugs of having a new vehicle worked out by then!

chillman88 likes this.
  9. snicklas

Mike,

Comfort and being able to get in and out easily was my biggest concern. Talking the other day, I hadn’t driven the car in nearly a year. I’d moved it out of the way, or ran a half mile up the road to the gas station, but that’s been it. I’ve either been driving the Infiniti or my sons 94 S-10 Blazer. I drove the car the 30ish miles to the dealership. By the time I got there, due to the seating position, I was getting stiff, and it was a bit difficult to get out. But in comparison, we went to MIL house over the weekend, and it’s 200+ miles one only stopped once, and I didn’t have any issues, but we drove the Infiniti.

My truck specs are, Regular Cab, Long Bed (8ft), 3.7 V-6 2wd. I’m getting right at 18 for the last few days I’ve driven it. My commute is a varied mix of county/state roads with a 55 speed limit, Interstate, and city surface streets.

Dad has a 16 SuperCrew 4x4 with the 2.7 EcoBoost. He consistently sees in the lower 20’s for his in normal daily driving, and mid 20’s on the Interstate.

Depending on your plans, I would try and find, or order, a Regular Cab, Short bed (5.5ft if you can) 2wd, 2.7 EcoBoost. I’d bet that combo would consistently get mid to upper 20’s........

Something like this:
    https://shop.ford.com/build/f150/#/....|101A.F1C..PQ...SS6.RCAB.RETAIL.99P.XL.50S.]

laserjock likes this.
  10. laserjock

Damn. $30k isn’t horrible. It’s not great but it’s not horrible.

I’ll have to keep that in mind. I have to say, I’m pretty stiff when I get out of the car. Been fighting a bad case of old lately. Not surprisingly it really isn’t getting any better. LOL

11. snicklas

Jarred,

I understand that. I’m just glad I found one, with this low miles. I actually found on with 27,000 on it, but it was WAY overpriced. I plan on keeping this for a while, so the miles really is a good thing. The car had 138,000 when I bought it, and had 176,000 when traded. It served us well, but the time had come.

subway likes this.
  12. snicklas

I’ll be my favorite caliber next month (45), so I do understand. Screwing up my knees and back when I was young and indestructible hasn’t helped. This getting old is a bunch of bulls**t.

DaveBen and laserjock like this.
  13. laserjock

I have to agree. Though as they say, it’s better than the alternative.

:D

DaveBen likes this.
  14. subway

nice, i have been pipe dreaming of getting another vehicle lately, the trouble is anything i would want to upgrade to comes with a nice price tag. newer 4 door Jeep, V-8 pony with a handshaker, even poking around the newer diesels gets a bit crazy $$$ considering i might want to jump all the way to a 6.7 if i do. of coarse everyone is looking for the great balance of fuel mileage, hauling capacity, reliability and modernness. by the time i get into my price range i might as well keep my old 01 Mercury Mountaineer for a daily. besides the fuel mileage it has been a great hand me down, just not something that feels inspiring to drive for me LOL

glad you got a sharp truck you like, maybe after my munchkins move out i can get a cool ride again.

chillman88 likes this.
  15. subway

my grandparents warned me not to catch that! i can feel it seeking up anyway sometimes LOL