New coolant and filter addition

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck has 93k coolant in good shape but of unknown condition, truck sat for several years, had newer upper and lower hose's and non stock thermo, and original heater hose's, PO did good maintenance, just didn't know what was there, so decided to do MC thermo new heater hose and add a filter.
Pulled block plugs and drained, coolant came out clean, not much sediment, see pics of plug, 1 plug was clean in the little hole, other was full of junk. Added a baldwin filter base, federal heater hose and new lined clamps, used mounting idea from the Warden article, thanks, with some mods, filter base has 2 in and out ports so used them rather then T's and opted not to use valves. Truck did not have any cooling problems, despite the china thermo, believe it was a napa as were the hoses po installed. Plan to use fleet charge for new coolant and non additive filter to start with. Had to make a new check ball retainer, can see ball setting on wp, noticed hole and ball same size, think ball would be shutting off this port after thermo opens and pushes ball down? that would be the purpose for the ball retainer? this causes me some confusion as to it's purpose! Also how much coolant really goes thru filter in a bypass set up? seems like it would flow the path of least resistance, especially with T's in the system, or is that the key, and I plumbed it wrong?

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That ball bearing is supposed to be in the thermostat housing. The black piece of plastic holds it in the pocket.
As for the made in china thermostat breaking.. you are very lucky. another member showed us what his Chinese stat looked like. His had 2 of the three legs broken and the third one was cracked. He got lucky in a good way. Nice pics and great filter addition.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That ball bearing is supposed to be in the thermostat housing. The black piece of plastic holds it in the pocket.
As for the made in china thermostat breaking.. you are very lucky. another member showed us what his Chinese stat looked like. His had 2 of the three legs broken and the third one was cracked. He got lucky in a good way. Nice pics and great filter addition.

That was me a few years back. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't heat up until I removed Chinese thermostat the PO installed. Can't believe it broke like that.
You can also remove that ball bearing in thermostat housing if you wish. I did and didn't notice much difference with it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online