new and need some help

johnwr

Reaction score
I am new to the diesel world and hoping someone can answer my question. please allow me some latitude if i sound or come off a bit ignorant to this. i purchased a used 2015 6.6L duramax silverado Z71. it had been already converted and not knowing anything about diesels or conversions I assumed I would be able to find somebody locally to help. I have not yet found that person. The conversion to my truck is, from what I have been told is extremely professional in appearance and the materials used. no emissions, no muffler and no DEF tank. The only indication of a conversion in the cab is a small black 5 position knob to the left of the steering column. I was told by a tech that it is a good quality knob but he had no idea what it does. another believes it controls only the O2 sensors. Me not knowing anything about diesel, was left to simply feeling out what it did to the performance of the truck. In all 5 positions the truck is in my opinion super fast. the smoke it puts out is minimal at best. I was also told that that my not be a good thing. I am a bit to nervous to push the truck beyond normal driving because i was told that i could blow the motor up. Gas mileage tests are what I have done. From a clockwise perspective, position 1,2 and 3 get around 18 MPG combined. Position 4 seems to get better 21 MPG on the highway and 15 MPG city. And position 4 eats fuel when in idol. I will start my 1 week running of position 5 tomorrow.
Pleas your thoughts and knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know very little about Duramax , other then they say you don't want to run cheap fuel filters in them , friend of mine only runs GM one. Also sounds like you have a tuner with different setting. Hope it works out good for you. I only run Ford diesels 7.3s LOL

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you do some looking under the dash and stuff, you should be able to find a box to the switch. Likely a dsp5 for efilive. Good stuff.
Search for how to find out if it is studded. If it is, I wouldn't worry about the extra power hurting it. It took Gale Banks quite a bit to blow one up.
Far as the smoke, the variable turbos make smoke almost nonexistent. Little to no smoke is great.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online