New AC issue

kbenz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC is not blowing as hard as it was. still cold just not kicking it out. started before my fan motor went out. thought maybe that was my issue. It wasn't. Where should I start looking?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a blower motor resistor that is very prone to failure, but I thought the symptom was that the fan switch wouldn't work on anything except high. Some food for thought but I think I just talked myself out of this being your problem.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all that fails, I installed electric window regulators out of an '85 XLT into my '86 CC. If I decide I need more air flow, I can push a handy switch next to my knee and get a little more wind. I almost put in a sliding back glass, but if you think texting and driving is bad you oughta see a redneck opening a back glass in a CC going down the road. But seriously, you got leaves or something in the duct work or on the condenser or evaporator (I can't ever remember what it is in the dash). Consider putting HVAC tape around the seems on the blower box too.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
AC is not blowing as hard as it was. still cold just not kicking it out. started before my fan motor went out. thought maybe that was my issue. It wasn't. Where should I start looking?
Many older vehicles slowly leak out refrigerant. So not sure if you are saying it blows less cold, in which case adding some refrigerant might solve.

Or literately you mean the amount of air coming out your vents is less. (As in less windy in the cab when the fan is on.). If so folks above had some good ideas. Also I recall there are some vacuum servo’s that help direct air flow. So perhaps read up on that issue, but I have never looked into that, so no expert.

Last edited:

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Low pressure port on drier could have failed. Evaporator frosts over after its on for a bit and it stops pushing the air to you. Turn ac to "vent" to force it to shut off for a minute or two every 5 minutes and see if it works better or worse. Better and that switch on drier needs replaced, worse and it is likely leaves and junk in Evaporator clogging up air flow.

kbenz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son and I were looking under the hood the other day. (This was his work truck when we worked together) I was telling him bout the issue and for some reason I switched the wires and there it was. problem solved. That should earn me the Dumba$$ of the week honor right there

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son and I were looking under the hood the other day. (This was his work truck when we worked together) I was telling him bout the issue and for some reason I switched the wires and there it was. problem solved. That should earn me the Dumba$$ of the week honor right there
Now that's electrical diagnosis!