New 6.7l has Siamese cylinders I see.

Cowboy2199

Ford Diesel Tech
Reaction score
HMMM

Steam passages worked unless the cooling system was not taken care of and they passages scaled up. Coolant technology of today is much better as well and in the long run, siamesed cylinder walls probably make for a stronger block.

Actually I think it not only will strengthen the block, but also help reduce cavitation erosion on the cylinder walls due to them being all attached and bein able to use all the cylinders to dampen the shock from combustion in the chambers.

Add to that that, the higher temps in the block will allow a more efficient engine cause it can then run richer, and keep the temps up for particle filtration regeneration in the exhaust system..

You didnt forget about that did you? The new CAT has a seperate fuel nozzle mounted in the exhaust for their particle filter regeneration cycle.. It sprays fuel into the hot exhaust and then is ignited by a spark plug (of all things), to clean the particle filter.. The new 6.4L for Ford has a particle filter too, but I am not sure exactly how that works though..

bob4x4

Reaction score
All engines are prone to cavitate, Cat, Navistar and Cummins. Seen them all leach holes in the cylinders on our farm tractors, Now some are more problems due to design, (IE 7.3L Navistar for example) and rear their heads sooner. That being said, I think Cummins might be a little further ahead of the dependability game.

No..........the Cummins 5.9 has NO tendency to cavitate:rotflmao

Do a little research

Bob

Cowboy2199

Ford Diesel Tech
Reaction score

Do a little research

Bob

Bob, sorry to burst your bubble, but all diesel engines suffer from cavitation erosion. Its due to the spike in pressure in the cylinders when the fuel/air mixture ignites. The bigger the engine the worse the erosion.

The cavitation I speak of isnt the same thing as cavitating a pump. Its not a lack of water or anything like that. Its kind of like smacking the side of a pressurized bottle of pop. The little bubbles on the side of the cylinder are created when the cylinder moves vibrates in the coolant (yes it moves, not much, but it does move). When the cylinder fires, the spike causes a ringing effect on the cylinder wall that causes the little air bubbles to pop, due to the sudden drop in pressure on the side of the cylinder wall, and the rushing water on the wall, causes the erosion.

The problem is worse on engines with wet cylinder sleeves, but its not exclusive to them. I can bring you cylinder sleeves from any manufacturers engine, and they all will have some erosion on them. Alot of it has to do with how the coolant is treated. If the additive package in the coolant is not kept up, then it will become worse.

Hopefully with the introduction of piezoelectric injectors this problem can be solved using multiple burst fuel injection to slow the rise of the cylinder pressure and comfort the ringing effect.

Regards,

Ford Tech

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Do a little research

Bob

cookoo :confused: Bob, ........Do a little research...........You're wrong.

Cummins may build a good engine:rotflmao :rotflmao but they ain't perfect. All diesels have cavitation problems, some are just known to be worse than others.

bob4x4

Reaction score
No bubble bursted........the b series engine doesn't have that issue:D Talk to Cummins engineering or............

Bob

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I just got my Cummins qualifications for the ISB (6.7L), ISC (8.3L) and ISL
(8.9L) 2 weeks ago....The 6.7 is quite a little marvel of technology with it's electronic variable geometry, water cooled turbo, EGR and DPF (diesel particulate filter)....That just means "expensive" to me....LOL...They have a common rail fuel system simular to a Detroit 60 series and man are they quiet...I was oncourse for 4 days and after that I still won't be buying a dodge truck, the cummins is just to pricey to fix especially with all the new electronic stuff....There's 3 temp sensors alone on the DPF.

Cowboy2199

Ford Diesel Tech
Reaction score
Oh geez Bob... LOL

Are you sure they are not pressure sensors?

Bob

I am pretty sure if he just got qualified to do repairs on all those engines, that he would know the difference between a temp sensor and a pressure sensor.. LOL Besides, you dont need a pressure sensor on the DPF to burn up, its probably located in the exhaust further upstream (if there even is one)... I would be more worried about temps anyway, since the filter gets burnt out everytime it gets cleaned.. Making the temps in the DPF around 2000*F for about 5min at a time..

Ford tech

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
There are 3 temp sensors and a pressure differential sensor on the DPF in the Cummins system....The P.D.S is used to sense when the DPF is plugged and needs a regeneration....(cleaning)...The cummins system does not have a fuel injector in the DPF like a CAT, it uses the injectors in the cylinders on the exhaust stroke and adds fuel to them so it is pushed into the DPF to make the heat needed to clean it.

bob4x4

Reaction score
I am pretty sure if he just got qualified to do repairs on all those engines, that he would know the difference between a temp sensor and a pressure sensor.. LOL Besides, you dont need a pressure sensor on the DPF to burn up, its probably located in the exhaust further upstream (if there even is one)... I would be more worried about temps anyway, since the filter gets burnt out everytime it gets cleaned.. Making the temps in the DPF around 2000*F for about 5min at a time..

Ford tech

The Exhaust Differential Pressure Sensor is remotely mounted on the transmission housing. Two pressure tubes measure pressure before and after the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)/Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC). The sensor is critical for fail-safe of regeneration strategy, because it interprets high pressure drops as possible high soot loads.

Ford Tech relax and maybe you should not be making rash comment:D

I have been Cummins certified for years......6.7 also

Bob

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I see the 6.7 in M2 Freightshakers only,I don't see the light automotive side...I haven't seen any of the new ISB, C, or L CM2150 engines as of yet other than the test engines we had on the course. We had an ISL there with an emergency application rated for 475HP....Thats a lot for an 8.9 right out of the box.....The DPF's I see have both the temp sensors and the PDS mounted on them. I'll be interested to see how well that thing is gonna work on oil delivery trucks and other short distance runners who will rarely have enough heat for a passive regeneration to occur on it's own. I can see a lot of stationary regen's taking place.

Phily 911

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the orginal ISB had problems with over cooling. Not saying that the Siamese cylinders make the engine better, i honestly don't know there. All I know is a properly running ISB has over cooling issues. I know mine does.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I agree with you there, the ISB can be a little frigger to get hot, we see a lot that rarely cross 180* even under heavy loads.

Phily 911

Reaction score
Yeah when I first got mine I thought something was wrong, so I changed thermostats and I did have a 180 in there, so I went up to a 195 and it helped but it still takes so long to get warm. It seems to drop out of operating temp when it idles too. I had my radiator completely cover up my radiator with card board and that does seemt to help alot, but w/o cardboard that thing can take over a 30 minutes to get up to proper temp on a cold day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online