1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Never ending small engine help

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BrianX128, Nov 21, 2018.

1. BrianX128

BrianX128 Supporting Member Supporting Member

So I got that old Montgomery Ward Rotitller running perfect, took it out the other day when the ground was good and mushy by the garden and it ran great still had its power and no more fire.

Now its onto the other generator. It's a coleman 54 series.

20181118_143415.jpg

It wouldn't even run without being spoon fed gas or starting fluid. I took the carburetor apart and then accepted that since my grandfather had 4 riding mowers, 3 push mowers, 2 rototillers, 2 snow blowers, 6 weed eaters and 8 chain saws, it's time to learn. All of these currently now run except this [well it runs but not right], 1 snow blower, and 2 weed eaters. My goal is to get everything fixed and fire everything up once or twice every winter so I don't have them break down on me. My fiance and I have a lot on our hands with being new home owners and a lot of this stuff is going to see real use. Anyways..

I watched a bunch of videos on carbs and went outside prepared for this and it was an updraft carb and so I went inside and watched more videos.

My needle and seat for the fuel bowl were stuck and the main jet and the hole in the fuel bowl for the main jet were clogged. I got carb cleaner and scraped everything out until fuel flowed everywhere it was supposed to. The gaskets did not come apart great, I tried to use create a gasket to fill in the troubled areas. I got it put back together and it runs to my total surprise.. but not right.

It's running in fire mode just like the tiller was. It has two adjustable screws for the main jet and the air screw. I can dial them both in and out and it reacts to them and clears up some but after 30 seconds no matter how close I think I am it will surge in and out a little and start to breathe fire.

20181121_133505.jpg

I did notice that my form a gasket is not really working. It kinda oozed out and I even saw a few bubbles on that crease in the middle.

Would this be allowing it too much air, or ruining the vacuum going up and be too much fuel? I don't understand why I'd see bubbles on the outside of that gasket like there is pressure on the inlet like the gasket was being pushed outwards.

Either way, I found this carburetor on ebay for 15$ so I'm going to try and either just use the replacement or steal the gaskets.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacemen...233333&hash=item41de2e66be:g:gQcAAOSw66Fak5EW

It looks almost identical.. would you just swap it in if you were me or use the gaskets and try to dial in the carb I have?

Suggestions welcome, I have a lot of learning to do with these. My grandfather has a box with over 100 small engine carburetors and parts for them, but I haven't found a supply of gaskets anywhere yet. I think he cut his own but I havent found rolls of material or I would have just tried that.

2. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I would just try the new carb and see what it does. Looks to my untrained eye like it's running lean.

I'm assuming you are running fresh new gas right?

3. chillman88

Any auto parts store should carry rolls of gasket material fyi. They're pretty cheap too.

4. jwalterus

jwalterus Made in America

Old mig welding gloves, the thin leather ones, work well too.

5. chillman88

Never in a million years would I have thought of that!

jwalterus likes this.
  6. BrianX128

Lol I have a stack of those and the welder I dunno how to use properly

7. BrianX128

It's 50% 93 octane and 50% fuel injector cleaner with some seafoam lol

8. chillman88

Brian you're as bad as me... on BOTH counts lol!

I wonder if the fuel injector cleaner is part of the problem? I'd run it a little at a time and then try pure gas.

9. Clb

Clb Another old truck Supporting Member

Dwell time on the snake oil is a good thing to eliminate FIRST.
    fresh ethyle (high test) only first

10. jwalterus

jwalterus Made in America

Leather gaskets used to be the "go to" choice for water pumps and fuel systems.

11. BrianX128

Did the same thing just to a lesser extent with the new carburetor. Dad thinks its fine just cause it's better, but its not. Just cause it's dark out doesnt mean the exhaust should slowly glow red even if it's just while looking inside it. It gets worse the longer it runs and starts to cough more and more.

Its junk. Hello dumpster. 0% chance with how things go for me with this stuff I'd even bother messing with the valves and whatnot on something that isn't crazy expensive. I'll just waste a couple weeks of my life to have it do the same thing or worse.

I love messing with cars and engines but not past this point. Especially when I already have one that works fine.

I told him if he thinks it works to take it to work and use it tomorrow instead of one of their work generators. I give it 10 minutes before someone else he works with shuts it down.

12. snicklas

snicklas 6.0 and Loving It!! Staff Member

If the exhaust is glowing, it's running lean. Fatten up the high speed needle.

I always start at the recommended number of turns, Turn it in till it starts to stumble (lean) and then back it out till it starts to stumble (rich). I go back half the amount of turns to get from lean stumble to rich stumble. Then go a bit toward the rich side. It's hard to explain, but I've done these enough, you can just tell when it's right. It's a sound, smell kinda thing.......

chillman88 likes this.
  13. chillman88

Sheesh Brian if it's that bad I'll come haul it away for you lol

But I really think Snicklas is right.

I have a similar problem with my snowblower. I have an adjustable main jet assembly on its way.

14. BrianX128

The main jet is adjustable but it either stumbles or glows or both there really is no in between with it it seems. I dunno what to do with it. There are some old smart minds at my dads work, well see if one of them plays with it for an hour instead of work and magically fixes it. I just know I tried every turn of both needles and it just would glow more and more the more it ran it didnt really matter where the throttle was.

15. snicklas

snicklas 6.0 and Loving It!! Staff Member

If there are 2 needles, one is idle, one is WOT. Get the idle good, and leave it alone.

Then adjust the WOT needle. Move it slowly, it doesn't take much some times.... Really depends on the carb, and the size of the engine....

I am normally working on 14 and 16 horse engines, and they can take a turn or two. I know my Kohlers is something like screw it all the way in, back it out 2.5 turns and adjust from there. Depending on what it's doing, it may not be a full turn from lean to rich, or it could e a turn and a half... With a carb it's finesse..... think small brass hammer, not 5 pound sledge.......

I understand the frustration. At one point I would completely disassemble an IH Cub Cadet and the engine. But i would take the carb off and set it aside and not touch it. Put it back on and run it as is. But I "painted myself into a corner" and had one that I was working on for someone else and it need a carb rebuild. I bought the kit, opened the book and did it. It ran great after I was done, and it wasn't a difficult as I thought.... Now I keep kits on the shelf and don't think twice about pulling a carb of and rebuilding it.

The service manual for the engine should show you the proper adjustment procedure.

Something like this:

carb_pg_1.jpg

carb_pg_2.jpg

This is from my Kohler manual. Wish I was closer, I'd come help....

BrianX128 and Thewespaul like this.