Needed advice to fix or forget?

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i replaced the rubber tube that connects the ccdr (tuna can) to the intake gasket/valley pan cover and a piece of the bottom of the rubber tube fell in that hole. I tried to fish it out but had no luck doing so. I said to hell with it and went about my day. Its about 1in in diameter 1/8 in thick and open in the center. Its the bottom 1/8 in of the old rubber tube.
Should i be worried? I looked at pictures of the valley with no intake installed and it doesnt look like it can hurt anything.
What are you guys thoughts on the matter?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try harder to get it out. The valley pan has baffle that should capture it somewhere near the opening, so it should still be within reach. A small mirror, coat hanger and full vocabulary of expletives should do the trick. Get it close to the opening and then grab it with needle nose pliers.

The rubber piece won't be able to escape right away, but after a few years, it may start to crack and break down from all the hot oil. Then the pieces could find their way into the lower part of the sump where they might partially block the inlet screen. It's not catastrophic yet, but it could cause problems later down the road.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lower part of that rubber tube basically went to pieces on me when I replaced it about 4 years ago. I was able to get some out but I'm sure I didn't get it all. 35k later and things seem to be OK, but yeah I do think about it from time to time.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try taping a small hose to the end of a shop vac. Then poke around in there until something sticks. I used that trick at site a few times and it saved our bacon more than once. If that doesn't work, at least you tried.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88