Need some input on pump options for my Used Engine Oil.

Reaction score
I have been looking at pneumatic diaphragm pumps for moving my dirty oil. I have found some on eBay that are pretty affordable. I am wondering is a $250 pump is going to work. That being said, I was looking at an electric sewage pump the other day at Harbor Freight. Plugging the pump into an electrical outlet would be so much more convenient. Would a sewage pump handle the harsh petroleum products in my dirty oil drums? If not, is there an electric alternative that can?

I really prefer not to buy two pumps. Is there a way to use one pump for both? Maybe purging the dirty oil before pumping clean into my truck? Any input is appreciated.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be surprised if a standard trash pump would last very long. Depends on what the seals are made of. The vanes are probably metal. I'm no waste oil expert but I don't know that I would feel at all comfortable with a dual duty pump. To me, that's defeating the purpose of cleaning the oil. You will always get some level of contamination back into it (albeit maybe small). You can always pick up a cheap transfer pump for the cleaned and blended product.

Reaction score
I agree. I really do not like the idea, but I that is was worth asking. Maybe some one came up with a solution. I have found some nice metered pumps that are not that costly. The biggest expense I am finding is the dirty oil pump.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what we use to transfer oil in the shop (tote to tote or tote to drum)

We use a big block chevy oil pump that has been drilled/welded for 1" female pipe fittings and 1" hose barbs. The pump is driven by a 1/6hp motor we had laying around.. connected directly with a lovejoy coupler. We have less then $100 in this setup... its made for oil and will pump a 55 gallon drum full (when transferring from a tote to our centrifuge drum) in a few minutes. Will empty a 275g tote in ~10 minutes or so.

I can get some pictures of it if you want. Just let me know.

Last edited:

MontanaJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using a submersible trash pump from Harbor Frieght down inside a 55gal drum to transfer WMO higher into my gravity feed barrel and also into my truck for over a year now with no problems. I love it! It pumps 50 gallons in a couple minutes and I think as long as the seals don't see much gasoline(solvents) and stay submerged in oil for the most part, they won't wear out to soon.

This is the one I'm using: http://t.harborfreight.com/1-hp-sta...-pump-with-tethered-float-2910-gph-69300.html

Plus, if you get a 25% off coupon, you're only into it $50

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be late but I use the fast ball pneumatic air pump. It's made to pump whatever will fit in its opening thick or thin. I love it as I don't need to thin anything before picking up and it pumps on both strokes so it moves volume. One man operation if I shutoff my dispense handle the pump automatically stops.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pump is a graco fast ball, my small air compressor runs it just fine and it'll empty a 55 gallon drum in under 10 minutes no matter how thick it is. The green hung is a military surplus fuel filter off an airplane I bought at a local military surplus store. Had my buddy tig weld some 3/4 pipe fitting on the in and outlet. The best part is it filters to around 5 micron and is completely serviceable so I use it as my first filter anytime I collect to save money from burning up paper spin ons.

Reaction score
That looks like a good setup. Being since I am pumping it into a bulk tank to run through my centrifuge, I may not even need that filter. But since it is serviceable, it certainly would not hurt to have a pre filter installed. Do you happen to have an NSN number for it?

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll post up any numbers I can pull from it when I'm back home. I'd like more info on it as well if you can find anything. I just like it as before the centrifuge this should catch the chunky stuff.

Reaction score
I have a few friends that can help me get some information on them. But I know they're going to ask me for an NSN number they always do.