Need input from real owners who pull 5th wheels 11,000lbs+

gearedandready

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a 2003 to 2007 5.9 cummins dually. I see a lot of hot shotters using these, the guy that delivered my fifth wheel, who does it for a living was driving one.

Without any mods will a Gen 3 dually 3500 handle a 36ft fifth wheel (11,035lbs empty, 13,000lbs loaded), pulling mountains in Colorado and Wyoming?

I am also interested in hearing about what mileage you are getting and what flat highway speeds and mountain pass speeds you are getting?

Also any upgrades that are a must have? I really am not into modding the truck, with programmers and such, I just want something reliable that will handle the load.

Also looking for input on automatic vs. standard for towing with these rigs. I am not that familiar with the 48re, but if the advice is to overhaul it with some mega trans kit for 3k I am not into that either. I have been down the beefing up, modding road with my last truck and have broke that addiction.

SethB

Reaction score
We had a 2000's model Forest River Cardinal, was around that weight, and our 2005 5.9 cummins dually pulled it just fine. Never had an experience with the mountains, but i would bet it would do it.

Only thing I would say would be to get a aftermarket Differential cover, some of those trucks had overheating problems so I hear. This truck also has a aftermarket S&B cold air intake, I know that is a popular mod.

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will pull it fine but you wont be doing 70 up any steep hills. The standard transmission is more reliable than the automatic but the automatic is better for shifting on hills because you dont lose your turbo spool between shifts. The standard will also get you better fuel economy.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops just realized this is an old post sorry.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk