Need help

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, first off: kudos to WESPAUL for locating an oil cooler for my '89. A heck of a nice guy and good to deal with. I'll be doing more business with him in the future
I'm trying to pull my oilcooler but not having any luck. I've pulled the steering shaft, but still no clearance. I can't pull the cooler apart & need any help the experts on this forum can provide...I don't want to touch the exhaust manifold, my arthritis is acting up. Thanks!!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem! If you need more clearance and you don’t want to remove the manifold, you’re going to need to loosen both of the engine mount nuts on the inside of the crossmember. Loosen them till they are at the end of their thread then lift the engine up on that side.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
some guys have only unbolted half of the cooler and pulled it apart right on the truck. there's vids on yourtube

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get the front header off and pull the oil cooler thru the back, but the problem lies in reinstalling the oil cooler assembly. You won't have the arm strength to smush the headers on in the engine bay. It's really hard putting the headers back on with new o-rings straddling the crossmember. You'll need a jack or press (carefully pressing, without cutting the o-rings).

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he used a pry bar, he didn't do it by hand

That sounds like a good way to cut your o-ring seals. If those headers are not perfectly lined up, the metal lips on the cooler and inner header will clash and cut up the seal. A pry bar would need to be compressed perfectly, and I'd be impressed with the man that could do it regularly.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've done the install front header on the block assemble bundle and rear header with hydraulic press. install the o-rings on the bundle for the front and use a porta-power to pop it into the front header. requires shop level tools but gets the job done every time.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!! I got it finished... a little tough when your hands are stiff but it is finished!!! A BIG shout out to WESPAUL , for his help. Hope to drink coffee with him soon!