Need help with motor pull

Fordfarmer123

Reaction score
Hey guys I recently purchased a .088 ats turbo for my N/A I’m having bit of trouble with installing it. I poked a few holes in my valley pan and my oil pan leaks pretty good. I’m thinking about pull the motor out because I want to do the manifold gaskets and the oil pan. How hard is it to pull the engine and does anyone have any tips on doing so? Do I have mark the torqe converter?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As far as I know, the torque convertor can be lined up with the flexplate in any of the four positions. The engine isn't really all that hard to pull out if you have any experience in pulling other types of engines. It's just bigger and way heavier that your typical gas V8. If you've never pulled an engine out before, it would be best to have someone with some experience to at least supervise you. No matter what others may tell you, you only have to pull off the hood in order to pull these engines. NONE of the accessories need to come out with the engine either. Everything will lay over to the side enough for the engine to come out. I do use some mechanic's wire to hold the accessories over to the side since they have a bad habit of slipping back in the way when you're putting the engine back in. I pull the radiator, fan, shroud, and the pulleys off of the balancer and the water pump. Lay the accessories to the side, unhook the wiring harness, grounds on the back of the head(s), fuel lines, and everything underneath. Then it's basically ready to come out. Watch the wiring, A/C lines, and fuel return line at thee back of the engine when going in and coming out. You can rotate the engine sideways if it helps going either way. I lift, move forward, lift, move forward. A little bit of one then the other until it's out. I tried not to oversimplify things, or write a novel that would make War And Peace seem thin, but I did this for a living for just over 6 years, so what's super easy to me, may not be to someone else.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve pulled these engines out with only pulling the rad, and with some tricky rigging, pulled engine, trans and transfer case over the core support with a turbo installed.

That being said, if it’s your first time pulling an idi, take the oil filter off and starter. It will make getting the oil pan clear much easier

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you guys using a really big cherry picker or a large A-frame with a chain fall? I have an A frame but it isn't tall enough. It doesn't seem like the average cherry picker would be tall enough either. I have about 2 inches of lift in the front.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used a 2-ton cherry picker at the 1/2-ton setting, with a tight chain on everything. More recently, i've just used a big tractor with a front bucket and lifted with that. Much easier to pull and lift with than a cherry picker, especially outside in the dirt.

Fordfarmer123

Reaction score
I’m installing a .008 ats turbo when it’s out can I install it while it’s out then drop it back in? I just got the radiator out I’m trying to figure out how the heck I get this rad support out? Do I need to take the hood and fenders off ?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you're going to be using a cherry picker, then you won't need to remove the hood if you remove the core support. You remove the bumper, grille, headlights, turn signals, I'm sire I'm forgetting something since I've only done this once and it was back in 2010. You can remove the small bolts that hold the fenders to the core support and remove the core support with the fenders in place.
I’m trying to figure out how the heck I get this rad support out? Do I need to take the hood and fenders off ?

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think your cherry picker isn’t tall enough, drop the front tire pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Are you guys using a really big cherry picker or a large A-frame with a chain fall? I have an A frame but it isn't tall enough. It doesn't seem like the average cherry picker would be tall enough either. I have about 2 inches of lift in the front.
Right now, I have an A frame and a chain hoist in my garage. When I was doing this for a living, we had a cherry picker. We had a bracket made that had a large nut at the top of it. The correct sized bolt ran through the nut to allow the bracket to spin. There was a fairly large sized metal loop welded the the top of the bolt that hung on the cherry picker's hook. At each bottom corner was a slot cut in the bracket so we could just hook a chain link in each slot and then hook the chain hooks to the factory lift brackets. With the upper boom and legs extended all the way out, it would go just high enough for the oil pan to slide over the hood latch. This bracket couldn't work on vans, only trucks. If your cherry picker won't go high enough to lift the engine out, since you have a 2" lift, you can get the engine up in the air and let the air out of your front tires. That will gain you a little bit of extra height. You won't have to move the truck back since the cherry picker rolls. I've even heard of a guy who pulled the front tires off of his truck and set it down on the rotors to pull the 300 6 cylinder out of it. If you're worried about your tires, just air them back up after the engine's out. If yo use this method, DEFINITELY put a bolt in the rubber fuel line that runs from the frame into the lift pump. Otherwise fuel will probably run out and may not stop until the tank's been siphoned out! The bolt's a good idea even if you don't lower the front end. I've had some that siphoned the tanks anyway so I always put a bolt in that line now.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the core support which made engine removal easy.
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That would sure make it easier to pull both. In fact, the only time I did that was after I cut the core support off of my first 85 F250 after I rolled it and was going to put them in my Bronco. On the other hand, I see absolutely no reason to pull the transmission if you're only wanting to pull the engine to reseal it like the OP says he wants to do. Also, his automatic transmission would make a bigger mess with all of the fluid that would leak out even after draining it first.

BigRedTank

Reaction score
Yup, just like CATBIRD7, I also pulled my front end off. If ur using an engine hoist, ur gonna have to do it like that unless u have a tractor. It's never a good idea to put ur settings on these 2/3 ton hoists at full length bc u loose capacity drastically. These engines are easily 1300-1500 lbs, motor and assessories.