IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It was and it wasn't. The people who were old enough to know what it was all had good things to say about it. The youngsters who didn't know the difference between the 7.3 IDI and the 7.3 PSD couldn't care less. I will say that it was the one that made me not want any more lifted vehicles. Not that it was bad, unsafe, or unusable, it just didn't thrill me to drive one like I thought it would.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't do lifted vehicles myself. The red one I just got has the lift blocks on it for clearing the 33s that were on it. I put road tires on it 275/60/15 and I'm going to remove the blocks.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
!
BTW can you post a pic of your idibronco. I love broncos, my first vehicle was a '79 bronco and now that I got mine running I'm fairly fond of idi's again.
They're not IDIs, but it's bronco eye candy. I just got the red/white 86 and got it running, it's pretty fantastic. The 79 is one I scored on the like whoa cheep, the body was in super shape(if I gave it a number grade it would be like 90%) I decided to just sell it because I "need another project like I need another hole in my head". I also have an 84 that I was going to IDI, but the more I've thought about it I think I'm going to just do the carbureted Windsor motor and AOD.

Attachments

• IMG_20210116_103635.jpg
    IMG_20210116_103635.jpg
    598 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210112_074104.jpg
    IMG_20210112_074104.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210116_103843.jpg
    IMG_20210116_103843.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210116_103824.jpg
    IMG_20210116_103824.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220510_181059.jpg
    IMG_20220510_181059.jpg
    580.7 KB · Views: 4

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Now if I could find a Dent Side Bronco in good shape for a decent price, I'd probably IDI swap that one. Honestly, I'll probably never have another one though.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't find one in decent shape for a decent price. People are crazy about those things. I almost accidentally got that one, it's a long story. And honestly I was glad to see it go.

BW42

Reaction score
Got a '93 7.3 IDI -- had the same problems for several years after acquiring the truck from my Dad. Replaced the olives, new cloth-covered hose in between, still had extremely hard starting after sitting for a few days. Metal line between lift pump and filter/water, dry and good-looking hose between filter and IP. Finally got hacked off enough to replace the perfect-looking hose between filter and IP with high-pressure rubber hose from Autozone. It's never failed to start with only 3-4 seconds on the starter since then. I used to always buy cloth-covered hose for my Porsche high-pressure fuel system, but I'll never trust that stuff again. With the fabric on the outside, you can't see cracks in the rubber that allow bleed-off and air intrusion. BW

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’ve got a 1986 Ford F250 with the 6.9 IDI and I am having an issue. The other day I turned the truck on, let it idle for a bit, and then just tapped the throttle. It went back to idle for about 2-3 seconds and then died like I had turned the key. So I wondered if I had an issue with the ignition. Nope, tested out good. Fuel shutoff solenoid? No, good there. Is it getting fuel? Yes, it has an electric lift pump that activates with the key in rhe on position, whether the engine is running or not. And I am getting fuel through the filter, which is brand new and also I checked to make sure it wasn’t already plugged. Filter good, getting fuel to the end cap on my injection pump. When I removed the fuel shutoff solenoid I saw that there was fuel in the pump. But the level never increases, and if I crank the motor over the injection pump hisses out air, but no Fuel whatsoever. I have the injection lines off for doing this. I have no idea what may have happened

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turned out to be that my fuel shutoff solenoid was not getting good ground, but was when I took it off and tested it... has been fixed, got it running good.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That would be a tricky one to fine. I'm glad that you did get it figured out. How did you fix the bad ground problem?

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it was just the little strip of metal that goes from the ground post to the case was not tightened down properly. Took a lot of searching around in one little are to figure that one out, all my brain power, plus some help from a buddy who stopped by to get a voltage regulator for one of his very old trucks.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then again, I am not very bright, anyone else probably could've found it easier and sooner...

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@KansasIDI

Not bright compared to whom?

It’s a good idea to never say that again!

Really please don’t!

I work for well to do college elite types and they can’t figure out the most common issues..seriously..if the light needs to be changed call it in! If the truck needs an oil change bring it in! They don’t know anything about working with your hands or troubleshooting real world mechanics.

But if you want to talk to them about classical music or some famous artis they won’t shut up!

Put it this way..if store bought fire starters weren’t available..these people would most likely never heat with a wood stove.

Their eyes glaze when you say paper, some wood and a match!

Be proud that you figured out how to solve the problem that lays ahead!

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back up.

@IDIBRONCO thank you so much for your 2nd post. It leads me exactly where to start.

My issue has been air intrusion AFTER sustained hard work. I.e. climbing Mtn passes.

I see the small loop of rubber hose from the steel line to the mechanical fuel pump. Will start there. Only have 1/8th tank of fuel in case I have to drop the tank. Fingers crossed!!

Plan to replace tomorrow. Will update.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

There’s on starvation issue. 3/8th supply to filer and 1/4 supply to IP. Yikes, I guess they used what they had on hand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online