Need help on TCM/TCU on '95 E-350

vincentverheijen

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First a short introduction. My name is Vincent and I live on a small island called Curacao located in the Caribbean Sea. I recently bought a 95 Ford E-350 with a 7.3 Diesel engine. Nice looking ride!

I hope you can help me out with the following:

I’m looking for a transmission Control Unit.

Ford E-350 7.3L V8 Turbo Diesel
Transmission: pretty sure it's a e4od, it's got partnumber 'rf-fotp-7006-bb' on it's case.
VIN: 1FDKE30FXSHB16693

Pretty hard to find! Went to my local dealer but they could not come up with a part number. The TCM/TCU got stolen so I do not have any part numbers :mad:

I have attached a picture of the plug that goes in the unit. The ones i found on the internet all do have another plug as far as I can tell.

Hope you guys can help me out!

Vincent
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Where is that plug?
Sure looks like the IDM plug to me.
You can get new IDM's all day long. Or just used ones. Won't matter what it comes out of, long as it's a 7.3 psd. Iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincentverheijen

Reaction score
Where is that plug?
Sure looks like the IDM plug to me.
You can get new IDM's all day long. Or just used ones. Won't matter what it comes out of, long as it's a 7.3 psd. Iirc.

Hi Jasper,

Thanks for your help, is does look like an IDM plug when I compare it to the plugs on the internet. The plug is located underneath the bus on the left side next to the transmission. It has an ElDorado Aerotech body, maybe it is relocated by these builders?

So if I understand correctly this plug is not connected to the TCM but to the IDM (which is an extension to the ECU). Weird thing is...my engine runs and start perfectly. When I put in in Drive it just would not shift from first into the other gears, my OD switch does not work and my speedometer also is not working. Manual shifting (first and second gear with the lever) is possible. Therefore, my guess was the TCM.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well gotta be the TCM then.
Wouldn't run without the idm.
Don't quote me exactly, but people have said 97 trucks got a early version 4r100, which I believe would use a different computer. (I don't know any of this for fact, just hearsay)
I think you could use 94-96 TCM's.
Do you need a actual part number?

vincentverheijen

Reaction score
Yes I do need a part number, cannot find it online.

I still don't get it. The part number (rf-fotp-7006-bb) on the transmission case says it's a e4od, it's a 95 truck (imo e4od) and the missing unit matches a IDM, engine runs however.

I recall seeing 2 unused plugs attachted to the harnass on top of the transmission, not connected to the transmission. Could it be the harness is changed by a previous owner? And which TCM matches to this harnass?

Thanks!

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You wont find a TCM for a 95 model year diesel E or F series.

Transmission control is integrated into the PCM.

The TCM was used with the IDI powered vehicles (pre 95) because they lacked electronic engine controls (EEC).

The only way to find a TCM is to use an earlier year. Try 94.

Take a photo of the two plugs.. They must have a home someplace.:D

vincentverheijen

Reaction score
Hi Trackspeeder & Jasper,

Thank you for this information. I got a bit further in solving this matter:

I compared the wires from the plug to an IDM wiring diagram and although the plug seems quite simular, the connections just don't match up. For sure it's not IDM. The wires lead into the main harnass and towards the ABS pump.

It seems the big plug needs to be plugged into a computer which has got something to do with the ABS. I think that when I find the 'thing' that connects to the loose plug everything will be okay. It probably feeds the engine computer with some signals to get the transmission shifting again (i.e. wheel-speeds through ABS-sensors).

But what's that 'thing'? Seems to be the size of a computer with a look-a-like IDM plug. Located on a bracket on the chassis' driver side near the transmission. '95 E-350 7.3 Diesel. Anybody?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say, if your speedo is not working and the OD switch is not working and you only have 2nd and reverse but able to manually shift, the trans. it is in limp mode. The VSS on the rear pumkin signals the speedo and the ABS.