Need help! 088 turbine housing "The Snail" I need one quick!

gearedandready

Reaction score
Hi out there!

I was in the process of rebuilding my 088 Turbo and cannot get it out of the exhaust housing. I have heated it, PB blasted it, and beat on it till my arm hurts.

We are supposed to leave in 2 days on a family vacation and I need this truck up and running.

Does anyone have a complete 088 Turbo with housing that is in good working order or just the exhaust housing?

Here is a video of my predicament!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem. Its the stainless steel heat shield on the exhaust side between the turbine and the center housing. Its press fit to the turbine housing, and it must slide out before the turbine wheel can come out.

What I did was take off the compressor wheel, then slide the center housing off the turbine shaft (turbine and shaft are one piece).

Then you'll have access to the back of the press-in stainless heat shield. I got mine out but using a screw near the edge and prying it out. It will mess up the heat shield but I got it out, straightened it and put it back in use. New shields can be found however.

gearedandready

Reaction score
I had the same problem. Its the stainless steel heat shield on the exhaust side between the turbine and the center housing. Its press fit to the turbine housing, and it must slide out before the turbine wheel can come out.

What I did was take off the compressor wheel, then slide the center housing off the turbine shaft (turbine and shaft are one piece).

Then you'll have access to the back of the press-in stainless heat shield. I got mine out but using a screw near the edge and prying it out. It will mess up the heat shield but I got it out, straightened it and put it back in use. New shields can be found however.

Thank you! How were you able to get the nut loose from the shaft on the compressor side? I tried and it is spinning the shaft and did not brake loose.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you located in Texas? You should be able to use an impact to remove the nut by blasting it repeatedly until it breaks free.

gearedandready

Reaction score
Thanks to david85 and Typ4 for there advice and thank you Lord Jesus I got it off!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! How were you able to get the nut loose from the shaft on the compressor side? I tried and it is spinning the shaft and did not brake loose.

As mentioned, an impact would work best. Blast it once, then wait for it to slow to a stop. Then blast it again, rinse repeat until it breaks free. Make sure you have the center housing aligned snug to the turbine housing to avoid scraping the turbine.

I managed to get mine loose by wrapping the compressor wheel in a rag and holding it with my hand. This is NOT recommended because you can easily bend the blades. If you don't have an impact, I'd suggest borrowing one or even renting one. Its cheaper than a new compressor wheel.

EDIT: Missed your update, looks like you got it :Thumbs Up

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok wont have get u a part....have 088 here...its russ's.....well waiting to get it to him LOL...i already previously shipped out the hershy kiss intake adapter...for him to someone...

gearedandready

Reaction score
Ok wont have get u a part....have 088 here...its russ's.....well waiting to get it to him LOL...i already previously shipped out the hershy kiss intake adapter...for him to someone...

Cool get it over to him and I can get a Turbo!

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a 088 setup that also belongs to Russ in my shop! Lol what turbo did you get from him?