Need AC advice

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have replaced all of the AC components in my system except the compressor. The compressor is of unknown origins. I have a used one that was working. I'm thinking since everything else is new, it might be worth starting with a fresh compressor too. Rock auto lists a couple options for new and reman. All about the same price. Brands that are better than others? Brands to stay away from? Four seasons seems to be common but I think I remember hearing bad things on hear about them.

Thoughts?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So there are 2 new options. GPD and four seasons. GPD is about 30$ cheaper.

Four seasons also has a Reman that is just a few buck cheaper than the four seasons new. Dead even with the core charge.

Based on that info, sounds like I should go for the GPD new. Even comes with the oil charge.

I apologize up front because I know this has been asked, but which orifice tube do I want for 134a? I got I believe a red or orange one with the conversion kit I bought.

I'm thinking it's probably not a bad idea to flush new hoses and condenser before connecting everything. Yes/no?

I just want to do this once not 3 times.

Thanks for the input.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a new orifice tube but it was for a 97 model. not sure if they are the same but I had either a blue or red.

EDIT: I used the red. I got both a blue and a red but red was what came out of the 97.

Last edited:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think I got a red orifice also. Air works great.

I wouldn't flush new lines unless you think something fell in them. I'd be more worried about contaminating them. I've never flushed new lines. And I've never had issues.

I also would recommend a new compressor. I've used 4 seasons myself, but haven't done enough to really develop a brand preference. I typically look for 4 seasons a/c and heater parts.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, when I rebuilt my entire AC system last year, I bought a new Motorcraft YCC193 compressor and Motorcraft YG346 red orifice tube. The compressor was new, but the box was marked "China". I figured the warranty of the Motorcraft compressor maybe was a little better than the others. With all the work you have put into your truck, don't take a chance on the used compressors, or a rebuilt one either. Definitely get new. The AC in my truck works awesome now, so I am glad I made the effort to rebuild the system. The compressor I purchase was for the serpentine belt system on my '94. I assume you are running v-belts on yours so the compressor part number would probably be different.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running the blue orifice tube in my propane filled system. Works great.i think I have said it elsewhere, but I can get coil temps down to -3°f when driving at 90 ambient temps.

As far as compressor brands I lucked into a new motorcraft for $20 on Craigslist when I did it. Been running great for a couple years now on propane that everyone says will blow them up, so if it works for me it should work for anyone :Thumbs Up

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's definitely easier. It'll take me a few vehicles or charges at least to recoup my cost of setting up the filling system. They all have their ups and downs.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the orange orifice tube when using 134 in an r12 system.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's just the size of the actual hole that the refrigerant is forced to expand through, which plays a major factor in the cooling properties of whatever refrigerant is squeezed through it

pafixitman

Reaction score
So there are 2 new options. GPD and four seasons. GPD is about 30$ cheaper.

Four seasons also has a Reman that is just a few buck cheaper than the four seasons new. Dead even with the core charge.

Based on that info, sounds like I should go for the GPD new. Even comes with the oil charge.

I apologize up front because I know this has been asked, but which orifice tube do I want for 134a? I got I believe a red or orange one with the conversion kit I bought.

I'm thinking it's probably not a bad idea to flush new hoses and condenser before connecting everything. Yes/no?

I just want to do this once not 3 times.

Thanks for the input.

Member here recommended Yellow Rose Distributors in Fort Worth for compressors a while back....FWIW

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be booed & hissed for considering a used compressor on such a fine piece of workmanship! :)
I understand Four Seasons has a bad reputation on here however I installed one (on another truck) several years ago and it still works great. Motorcraft would be the way to go if you can locate one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online