Need a IP Adjustment Tool

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy!

Anyone have the special tool or a homemade one that I can borrow? I'd make one myself but don't have a grinder or welder! (On a list of things to get..)

Thanks,
Never-Have-I-Ether

gandalf

Reaction score
Those adjustment tools seem hard to find. Many of the IPs will have a 3/4 inch fitting sticking out toward the front of the truck. If your's does, all you need is a normal every day open end wrench.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those adjustment tools seem hard to find. Many of the IPs will have a 3/4 inch fitting sticking out toward the front of the truck. If your's does, all you need is a normal every day open end wrench.
I'll double check, I had read that there's a hard to reach bolt that a funny angles wrench is required for....will look at it

Never-Have-I-Ether

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

gandalf

Reaction score
I'll double check, I had read that there's a hard to reach bolt that a funny angles wrench is required for....will look at it

Never-Have-I-Ether
That hard to reach nut in on a stud coming out of the rear of the gear tower, clamping the IP in place when you time it. What I'm talking about is on the IP itself, on the forward facing section. You can see it in this picture. It's perfectly square, sticking out a bit.

Attachments

• DSCF7635.JPG
    DSCF7635.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 40

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No welder needed for this one. You can easily modify a 9/16” wrench with a propane plumbers torch, and a 4-1/2” angle grinder from harbor freight. You’ll spend less than you would on the “proper” tool, and you’re increasing your arsenal for other projects.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing your truck, huh? I'm jealous!
My timings at 12° and really needs to be fixed. Hard start. Im hoping this is my fix.

I'll take a look at that cheap wrench. I don't see why it shouldn't work, they look similar...

Never-Have-I-Ether

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really don't want to bend up a wrench, just remove the fast idle solenoid. The holding bracket is held to the pump by two 1/4" bolts with 7/16" heads on them. VOILA! Instant room.
This looks like the free way of doing it!

Thanks,
Never-Have-I-Ether

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, I've been reading this thread since it started thinking to myself, " when I changed my IP, I didn't have to make a funny wrench.....I don't think I did..... maybe I did. They sure seem adamant about a wacky wrench." But IDIbronco is right, that's how I did it. Of course I was changing the pump not timing it. I just put it back on exactly like the one I took off.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even without the extra room removing the fast idle bracket; I just removed, installed and timed my IP with a regular old 9/16 Craftsman wrench. It can be a pain, but nothing compared to some of the equipment I've worked on.