N/A IDI Turbo Conversion

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your pulling heads off, it’s common to cut off 5 thousandths from the head surface, making sure they are within specs. Decking block is mostly done when entire engine is being rebuilt. Not necessary when putting new HG’s on

gfemling

Reaction score
I need to chime in here regarding weeping head gaskets on 6.9IDIs- my ‘87 has had an annoyingly coolant seep at Rt rear corner of head; have owned since new so know complete history. I did Hypermax turbo at 125k mi and just did engine removal and overhaul at 255k mi (more due to timing and other motivating aspect than hard need to overhaul). Well the machinist did a light shave on block (.004”) to clean up and he discovered the reason for my coolant seep- original block was either warped or not adequately machined flat from get-go. Reason I bring this up is my seep wasn’t due to head gasket and wouldn’t have been corrected by in-truck replacing gasket and head overhaul. And that had done great for 130k with turbo and would have gone many more with just more leak stop if had elected to go that route. Turbo’d IDI and conservatively run make great mod IMHO ;-)

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, without decking the head and at the least checking the block I feel you are wasting your time just replacing the headgaskets

BlueHound

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get IDI bottom end components that can support more horsepower?

BlueHound

Reaction score
I’m not planning to make more than 400 but I’d like the added insurance and the option if I ever want more.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay well to make much more than 400 you will be looking at a compound turbo setup and a twin ip setup or an inline pump swap. idiperformance.com has bottom end upgrades that will support that power level

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online

Members online