My Turn for Moose

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a Moose yesterday. Wyatt (sp?) was very helpful in figuring out which one would best suit my gentle driving style and Suzi was on top of the e-mail correspondence. I'm really looking forward to seeing what a new pump will do to this old truck. I'm planning on doing this over a weekend and need the truck back in service before Monday. My TDI was totaled by insurance and the truck is my new primary driver until I can find a suitable replacement. That said, a few questions...

I have a Kent Moore and have timed IDI engines before and have the wrenches to get at the three forward facing bolts. I have heard people using a 8mm and 5/16 socket (12pt) to remove the rear facing bolts which are behind the timing gear cover. Is one preferred to the other? I recognize I'm splitting hairs on this but I want to keep Murphy away.

I have a facet fuel pump so when the new pump goes in I anticipate bleeding air out of the system by loosely attaching the fuel lines to the injectors, turning the pump on, and watching for fuel out of all eight injectors. Any problems with this?

It's an E4OD and I have adjusted the TPS before the way @FORDF250HDXLT described. When removing the entire TPS assembly, once the screws are removed, does the whole thing just side out and slide back on to the new pump and the adjustment is made with the screws? In short, is it just a few screws holding the assembly to the pump and should it come out easily?

For those who have done it before I'd love to hear your 'I wish I knew...' stories.

Thanks in advance.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the 5/16 12pt on the gear bolts. the TPS has just the two little bolts that hold it to the pump and that is what adjusts it also.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure its impossible to get fuel out the injector lines without cranking the engine. That being said I would let the fuel pump run a little bit and then try firing it. I just put an electric fuel pump on my truck and after I switched my pump to the new engine I was surprised I didn't have to bleed the injectors.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please use the 12 point 5/16 socket to remove the three drive bolts. Caution when removing the tps drive tab. It MUST be installed on the new pump the same way. It has 2 small Allen nuts holding it on the injection pump throttle shaft. Take a pic to be sure. Installing it wrong will break the tps when full throttle is used. You will have to re adjust the tps too on the new pump.. You can easily remove the pump with all the hard lines on it. Just remove the feed line from the filter first. No fuel will flow thru the hard lines if the engine is not cranking but it will flow thru the pump and out the return line on top. Mel taught me how to time a cold engine. All you do is remove the cold advance wire on top of the pump. thats the wire closest to the firewall on the pump. Its also the smaller of the 2 spade connectors. Leave the fast idle solenoid bracket off for better easy access to the pump nuts. Remember the top nut will not come off till you move it away from the housing. Be sure to install the washers too.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh oh. Those two Allen bolts are stripped out.

ETA: After several soakings of PB Blaster I was able to hammer a 2 or 2.5mm Allen wrench to finally get them out. I see how one has a little nipple on the bottom which fits into the hole that the TPS blade fits into. Thank you. One more frustration averted.

Last edited:

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I'll have to come over and test my new craigslist score and see how well it times! And maybe lend a hand or two lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to come over and test my new craigslist score and see how well it times! And maybe lend a hand or two lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You bet! Dependent on shipping, I'm tentatively planning on removing it Friday afternoon and putting the new one in Sat am.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new pump is in but not without a problem. On the injector line nearest the fuel filter (I forget the number) the nut connecting the hard line from the injector to the pump cracked in half. Anyone know where I can get one line in short order? After my VW was totaled by insurance this is my new daily driver.
Thanks in advance.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, number one. Called the local Ford dealership and they'll have one for me on Tue. I'm hoping I can swap it without removing the pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online