My introduction and thanks

Ken876

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Hello all,
Not new to the diesel world, but learning a lot on here about the old 7.3 idi “farm truck” that I’ve recently purchased. If I’m smart enough to figure it out, I’ll add a couple photos. Quickly discovered my IP is failing from heat soak and hoping that or the injectors are contributing to a diesel smelly white and gray smoke. All fluids, and glow plugs have been changed. Going to a compression check Friday before I sink the money in for an IP and injectors given I know very little history on the old truck. New CDR is ordered and should hopefully be here Friday as well. Any advice from the experts on here? 1992 f250 4X4 manual with 181,000 miles. Future plans contingent on how she does is to drop a flat with a hay spear on it. Thanks for all the help this site has provided from a long time reader, first time poster.

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy
Hit the stickies, and tech section, and the hall of shame!
Do not do an e pump before asking about it (the faucett tech thread is misleading).
Lastly fil in yer sig line with the trucks statts so we can easily see whatcha got questions on.
Love seeing one of these "working"!

Ken876

Reaction score
CLB, I think I got the signature line squared away. Still trying to navigate this site as best I can. I assume when you say “e pump” you are referring to the injection pump? Truck starts remotely well when cold. Starts extremely well when warm if it’s only been turned off for 5 minutes. Get it good and warm and let it set for 30 minutes on a warm day, and you may as well walk away until all cools down.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lift pump
Only about 3-4 sources for i.p.'s

Ken876

Reaction score
Brother, I appreciate the advice, and maybe I’m too dumb to understand what you’re saying. Have learned that you have to be picky about how and where you get the IP, but can’t figure out where lift pump is playing into this.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the low pressure pump that supplies fuel to the injection pump. If your truck is stock, it's a mechanical pump mounted on the front lower passenger side corner of the engine.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of guys replace the mechanical lift pump with an electronic pump. He's just warning you to do LOTS of homework if you decide to go that route.

Not necessarily directly related to the IP.

Welcome to OB!

Ken876

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification and the warm welcome. I’m trying to do all the homework I can while also trying to get a truck ready to go in the field. Doesn’t matter if she’s pretty, just needs to be reliable. Given what I know about the truck, one would “assume” it’s stock. Would a bad lift pump show the same symptoms I’ve mentioned above in regards to the injection pump? Idk much, but it seems spot on.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hence the
stickies
Tech
Search mention...
I.p and injectors live up to 1- 125k
Lift pumps
Lots went electric lift pumps.
The oem fomoco (FORD ONLY) Part # seems to keep up and last.
Lots of tech here, more input from the forum.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw
One of my contractor bud's had a 6.9 bullnose with 500k factory stock miles on it before he decommed it!

Ken876

Reaction score
This site is awesome. Had my first Powerstroke in 99 and two 6.7 Cummins since. My dad has always had the old Ford’s that we used for the “farm” trucks. One is a 78 that’s been rebuilt and modified to the point that you don’t know what it is. (Sank in a pond), plus his “new” 1984 F350. Something about driving the old school diesel that just can’t compare to a new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.