My first post

3crows

Reaction score
I'm an old geezer and a retired carpenter and I do all of my own fixin'. I have a 1990 Dodge W250, 5 speed 4WD rig with the Cummins 5.9 and a Gear Vendor and it only requires one battery to operate and for no other reason I wouldn't own any other make of truck. It's been a good rig. The one problem I've had with it is a slow battery drain so that if it sits for a week it won't start. If I use it every day or so, no problem. Originally got it to haul horses and hay but that's done and now it doesn't get used too much. At this point I've been just disconnecting the battery but lifting the hood on this guy is a chore for this old man. Dodge could have used stronger spring on this and there'd be no problem, but they didn't. So I want to install a battery disconnect switch in the cab. I don't know how many amps this draws for starting so I need some input on what size cable and switch to get. Will 1awg work or should I go bigger?

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We bought a prewired one to use on my dad's boat, or do you prefer to do it all from scratch? He wanted to be able to completely cut off his shore/camper power battery when not using boat so it wouldn't drain in case it was needed for starting.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Oil Burners! I would use a 400 amp cut off switch. You can find them at amazon.com.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online