my dyno numbers are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I have never even been near a dyno but can't help but wonder this: Why can't there be an adapter to utilize the tach sensor that already exists? Unplug tach sensor from truck, plug it into Dyno:dunno Guess it sounds too simple.:rolleyes:

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
I have never even been near a dyno but can't help but wonder this: Why can't there be an adapter to utilize the tach sensor that already exists? Unplug tach sensor from truck, plug it into Dyno:dunno Guess it sounds too simple.:rolleyes:

because there are too many variables. the tach sensor is relative to what its sensing. the stock sensor reads the IP gear, I think? My tach uses the alternator as a pickup. I had to use a crank sensor to dial the tach in.

Most motors put on a dyno are gasoline so they can use spark for pickup... most diesels that are put onto a dyno are OBD2, so they have an OBD2 port for pickup.... mechanical setups are just not common. The crank sensor used for use on a dyno is out there, and easy to obtain, but its not standard equipment when buying a dyno, therefore alot of people dont have it.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Just read this whole monstrosity of a thread... I mean damn this motor seems pretty good, I definitely loled when you mentioned pirate4x4. That has been in the back of my mind the whole time, and everytime someone spouts off like you do in a forum...:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao Who needs feelings anyways? I'm not using mine if you want them. :***:

When do you think you're gonna slap an intercooler on it? I still plan on running an air to water set up... have you thought about that option? Also if you're having issues with your EGT's have you considered a water/**** system? They seem to help a lot with EGT issues. Oh don't know why i ask this but what about propane for the hell of it?

Whatever, i'm gonna get off the interwebs and get back to a shrimp boil and :drunk: and see how long it is until :fan: ltr

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hes considered it all and it all is in his plans when needed if egts are too high he will do a **** setup or something hes got it all covered well

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
I don't really have EGT issues out of the norm. Even PSD's and others get high EGT's at 7000ft with a gross weight around 15,000lbs trying to hold 75mph up grades.

An intercooler alone is not enough.. I will be intercooled and water injected.

12vctd

Reaction score
Ok I just read thru 24 pages of good info as well as some not so great info. But I have to ask a few questions, maybe I did not read properly or missed a few things.
First question is what gear where you running the truck in on your pull? I would assume it was 4th direct drive for a accurate number.

My opinion on dyno's and a huge debate for many. I used to dyno my 93 Dodge cummins alot back in the day. As a matter of fact when I was searching for the magical 500rwhp mark I seemed to live on alot of dynos. As I was testing a new product with the help of one of its creators (14mm inj pump head for the Bosch VE pump). The reason I state this is I learned from doing and experience that my numbers were very diff from each dyno, they were diff and normally higher on mustang dyno's without the crank sensor. I have tons of dyno sheets and video to prove this. I am emailing my brother (I am on TDY in a diff location) to get him to send me some of my sheets. I dont say this to discredit anyone. I simply was disapointed many times in my truck beacuse it seemed I could not get accurate readings. Id take my truck and dyno it on the same dyno and get diff readings. I was often told back in the day I would never break 500 rwhp in a VE inj truck, I did do it, I was not the first no where close but I kept working on it and got the truck where i wanted it. I really dont see how there is such a huge increase in power with your truck compared to the others that have been dyno'd. But you very well might be onto a great combo.

Now I love the old IDI, I love all mech inj diesels heck I just love diesels. I hope you keep up the good work and continue to improve your truck to your liking.

Now just a small note, increasing the power of any diesel engine will come at the cost of longevity. Point blank. Does this mean your driving a ticking timebomb, well yes but even a stock motor is a ticking time bomb everything mechanical will fail at some point.

Again keep up the good work and hope your truck meets all your expectations

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
Ok I just read thru 24 pages of good info as well as some not so great info. But I have to ask a few questions, maybe I did not read properly or missed a few things.
First question is what gear where you running the truck in on your pull? I would assume it was 4th direct drive for a accurate number.

My opinion on dyno's and a huge debate for many. I used to dyno my 93 Dodge cummins alot back in the day. As a matter of fact when I was searching for the magical 500rwhp mark I seemed to live on alot of dynos. As I was testing a new product with the help of one of its creators (14mm inj pump head for the Bosch VE pump). The reason I state this is I learned from doing and experience that my numbers were very diff from each dyno, they were diff and normally higher on mustang dyno's without the crank sensor. I have tons of dyno sheets and video to prove this. I am emailing my brother (I am on TDY in a diff location) to get him to send me some of my sheets. I dont say this to discredit anyone. I simply was disapointed many times in my truck beacuse it seemed I could not get accurate readings. Id take my truck and dyno it on the same dyno and get diff readings. I was often told back in the day I would never break 500 rwhp in a VE inj truck, I did do it, I was not the first no where close but I kept working on it and got the truck where i wanted it. I really dont see how there is such a huge increase in power with your truck compared to the others that have been dyno'd. But you very well might be onto a great combo.

Now I love the old IDI, I love all mech inj diesels heck I just love diesels. I hope you keep up the good work and continue to improve your truck to your liking.

Now just a small note, increasing the power of any diesel engine will come at the cost of longevity. Point blank. Does this mean your driving a ticking timebomb, well yes but even a stock motor is a ticking time bomb everything mechanical will fail at some point.

Again keep up the good work and hope your truck meets all your expectations

4th gear, yes.

As for me being above the norm... I am above the norm of this site. Ken claims he has made IDI's this powerful, people on other sites, and after talking to my good friend Bobby Walter, he said that he personally, and alot of people in his area (detroit, and has family ties into ford) have been pulling with the ford IDI since its debut and he knows of many people putting down more power than what I am. Custom cams, custom heads... all sorts of things that people here didn't know were out there.

Just because the person isn't online, or on this website, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
yall r poking each other with sticks and waiting to find results its not just nmb2 do i gotta go quote yall
ill just list the ppl poking him
sle2115
ocnorb
towtruckdave
just on this page so im going to say this stop acting like 6 year old girls and if you dont got nothing nice to say dont say it, how hard is that. look i aint taking sides here but nmb2 only quotes stupid and puts his twist on it, when you do it. and hes more funny than anything, but asking him how to teach you to back into a pole? really? sounds like how a 6 year old girl would act. how about we start the daycare thread where if you want to bash someone or insult them you put it there. youre gonna act like youre in daycare well maybe we should treat you as such? if this sounds like i got everything straight let me know and back me up so this goes back to the build not who hit what tree

List all you want, but my point, as a moderator, was that the name calling and such needs to stop. It's ok to disagree, and posting anything on here leaves one open to questions. If you don't want to answer them, don't post. No need to call someone an ass or stupid because they asked a question.

I'll go with what other moderators have said, if you don't like the sandbox, don't play in it!

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow.

Good Luck.

Kinda quit hanging around when I ****** my 6.9 out. ALmost wanna go FE just so I don't have a reason to come here...

He did it, He has paper to prove it. Take it at face value, or leave him alone.

WHy do 5 out of 10 PSD owners get 12 for an average MPG, and why do the other 5 get 18?.

Why 5 out of 10 Dmax owners get 19 mpg avg, and 5 out of 10 get 12?

Why do most of the diesels on this site have low power, and some don't?

Is it so hard to put "belief" into 1 diesel on this site, set to build hp, actually did?

I got 18 mpg drive around mpg, out of a lifted 37" tire wearing 4x4, with an NP435, and 3.73's.

And 16 towing, 7k pounds. Held 4th ont he freeway at 65.

How many other trucks here have done that?

Each motor is an individual thing, and there are consistencies and norms, but... after reading this whole thread, I see alot of "mine doesn't so yours can't"

Whatever... Git some NMB2.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow.

Good Luck.

Kinda quit hanging around when I ****** my 6.9 out. ALmost wanna go FE just so I don't have a reason to come here...

He did it, He has paper to prove it. Take it at face value, or leave him alone.

WHy do 5 out of 10 PSD owners get 12 for an average MPG, and why do the other 5 get 18?.

Why 5 out of 10 Dmax owners get 19 mpg avg, and 5 out of 10 get 12?

Why do most of the diesels on this site have low power, and some don't?

Is it so hard to put "belief" into 1 diesel on this site, set to build hp, actually did?

I got 18 mpg drive around mpg, out of a lifted 37" tire wearing 4x4, with an NP435, and 3.73's.

And 16 towing, 7k pounds. Held 4th on the freeway at 65.

NA, by the way, stock pump, 1983 model motor.

How many other trucks here have done that?

Each motor is an individual thing, and there are consistencies and norms, but... after reading this whole thread, I see alot of "mine doesn't so yours can't"

Whatever... Git some NMB2.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
alright, so pretty much just do like I did last time, except hopefully have RPM?

Ok lets say I cannot find a shop that has a crank sensor (one of those shops has to have one I would think?!?!), if I video my tach during the pulls... would that suffice?

Absolutely not bro. As you know, torque and RPM are indispensable in figuring HORSEPOWER.

I really took it a bad way when you posted Horsepower numbers without RPM readings.

Also, it was somewhat disingenuous to post your corrected numbers as "rear wheel horsepower". The correction would be to crankshaft horsepower.

Another reason I really want to see RPM is because your dyno graph, to me looks like a "zoomed in snapshot" of the torque peak, with the "valleys" chopped off. This would also explain the "flattest torque graphic ever for an idi".

I was very excited when I heard about your numbers because I have two IDI trucks that use every bit of the power they make and could definitely use more. Then I was dissapointed because the results were compiled using a not very scientific method and just could not be accepted as fact.

I understand why you do not like me. I have torn your methods to shreds. So shut me up by proving your numbers. I am guessing they will not be as high but still very respectable.

Sorry I am not going to "play dumb" to keep from bruising your ego.

And I accept your challenge of a "run whatcha brung" idi vs. idi race, such as that may be. How about at Rally 2012? I would say this year but I doubt you are going to drive coast to coast.

And just to start the friendly "rivalry" off on the right note:
You are gonna get smoked by at least 1 second:peelout

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Synopsizing this thread for a friend, I typed it as follows:

3 pages of attaboys, 1.5 pages of defense of his numbers, and 5 pages, of you can't do that with an IDI, and alternately, you can't do that with DPS, All Hail Moose, All Hail Moose
Ridiculous.

(I have my post display set high enough,its a 9 page thread for me)

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Two old guys are standing on a bridge *******. One says "dang, that water is real cold." second guy says "yeah, and that river sure is deep!"

Where is the beating the horse smilie?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
For me it was never about his numbers. It was two guys going "I made this torque and horsepower with x-y-z combination and it totally rules."

Second guy:"WOW. I can't wait to try that on my truck!"

First Guy:" Well, actually you already have everything I have- my combo is really x-y-f not x-y-z like I led you to believe."

Second Guy: "Oh. That's disappointing, but thanks for coming clean." [Hmmm what else isn't he telling...]

If you've only read this thread you missed a lot of what went on. NMB2 deleted much of it.

I am with those who hope that he does make big numbers. I wish him the best. I come here to learn from people who know more than I ever will about these things. Criticism will only strengthen ones resolve to prove ones methods, or you can let it get to you. I hope the former happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.