Promise... the build

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the blowby, excessive?

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO.. no.. that's not even a quarter of what mine looks like. Mine looks like a freight train pulling a hill, still runs good and doesn't use much oil. And passes emissions with 4-5% opacity...
Thank you.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should be on my page here unde the fuel system parts, and in a recent post on the Facebook page with some injectors in the picture. $10 shipped for a set of 16

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't normally move along very quickly with these things, and this one is no exception.

Today, I did whatever I could get done. Mostly I am waiting on parts.

What I know at the end of the day...

The check valve on the top of the IP that goes to the return lines... Is fine. I took it out and checked it out. It was difficult to blow through. But then I got out a bright light, and put on a good pair of "inspection glasses". LOL Looked clean, through and through. Then used a pick to very gently poke at the glass ball... It moves freely. No blockage. No grit. Nuttin!

Got all that back together. Checked out the incoming and return lines. Everything is good.

Then I blew through the return line, back to the tank. There was a tiny bit of hesitation, then it popped, and suddenly it was easy to hear burbling in the tank every time I blew on the hose. So... Maybe there was a bit of obstruction in there? Possibility. But I don't think that was the problem. (Cause of the loping idle, and the smoke.)

(Side note: Diesel doesn't taste quite as bad as gasoline. But has a greasy aftertaste. ;))

I have a question...

The return line that goes back up to the fuel filter.

That fitting in the fuel filter housing...

Is there supposed to be a check valve in there, as well? And if so, which direction is it supposed to flow?

Cause when I pulled the line off of it, there was a very steady stream coming out of the filter. It was strong enough to reach and drench the IP. And the stream stayed that way.

This was with the engine off and cold.

The gauge and other parts can't get here soon enough. I want to check the compression correctly. And I want to test injectors so I can put a balanced set in there. Then... I will try changing the pump timing.

Last edited:

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't normally move along very quickly with these things, and this one is no exception.

Today, I did whatever I could get done. Mostly I am waiting on parts.

What I know at the end of the day...

The check valve on the top of the IP that goes to the return lines... Is fine. I took it out and checked it out. It was difficult to blow through. But then I got out a bright light, and put on a good pair of "inspection glasses". LOL Looked clean, through and through. Then used a pick to very gently poke at the glass ball... It moves freely. No blockage. No grit. Nuttin!

Got all that back together. Checked out the incoming and return lines. Everything is good.

Then I blew through the return line, back to the tank. There was a tiny bit of hesitation, then it popped, and suddenly it was easy to hear burbling in the tank every time I blew on the hose. So... Maybe there was a bit of obstruction in there? Possibility. But I don't think that was the problem. (Cause of the loping idle, and the smoke.)

(Side note: Diesel doesn't taste quite as bad as gasoline. But has a greasy aftertaste. ;))

I have a question...

The return line that goes back up to the fuel filter.

That fitting in the fuel filter housing...

Is there supposed to be a check valve in there, as well? And if so, which direction is it supposed to flow?

Cause when I pulled the line off of it, there was a very steady stream coming out of the filter. It was strong enough to reach and drench the IP. And the stream stayed that way.

This was with the engine off and cold.

The gauge and other parts can't get here soon enough. I want to check the compression correctly. And I want to test injectors so I can put a balanced set in there. Then... I will try changing the pump timing.
That check ball in the filter housing is supposed to let that tiny stream of fuel/air out and into the return line(but then keep air or fuel from pushing back into the filter housing when turned off)
This is strictly for air removal, and is a great passive system. However if you pulled the line off and it shot onto the IP you have a clog in the return system(or DID, you said you blew through it). That is unless you had an epump running and didnt mention it.

Oh and that little ball takes about 0 psi to open, the spring is really really light. There was a TSB about eliminating that line altogether due to air intrusion. But its terribly convenient for running out of fuel or priming the system/bleeding injectors.

Last edited:

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ordered a new gauge to put into my compression tester, so that I could get a more accurate reading.

What showed up was a tiny little gauge. Moral of the story, pay closer attention to the details when you order stuff from amazon. LOL

I immediately ordered another gauge. It should be here next monday or tuesday.

BUT.... I have waited long enough. I was anxious to see what the compression is really like. So I put the tiny gauge on it, and did the readings.

You must be registered for see images attach

Small as it is, it did give me readings down to 10 pounds.

So, here are the compression readings:

Firewall

420 ... 390

390 ... 400

360 ... 420

380 ... 360

Radiator

Not the best, but not the worst either.

What do yall think?

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered a new gauge to put into my compression tester, so that I could get a more accurate reading.

What showed up was a tiny little gauge. Moral of the story, pay closer attention to the details when you order stuff from amazon. LOL

I immediately ordered another gauge. It should be here next monday or tuesday.

BUT.... I have waited long enough. I was anxious to see what the compression is really like. So I put the tiny gauge on it, and did the readings.

You must be registered for see images attach

Small as it is, it did give me readings down to 10 pounds.

So, here are the compression readings:

Firewall

420 ... 390

390 ... 400

360 ... 420

380 ... 360

Radiator

Not the best, but not the worst either.

What do yall think?

I'm not sure what the specification is but that's not bad. It would be nicer if there was not as wide a gap between the lowest and the highest readings. I will try and find an official spec tomorrow.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Those readings look ok. If it were mine I'd throw a can of SeaFoam in the crankcase and leave it in until the next oil change. It's good for unsticking rings, and it shouldn't hurt your engine.

I'm really interested to see what the injectors test at. There is really no point in setting the timing until the injectors all pop at about the same pressure.

It must have been a great feeling when the engine came to life. :)