Promise... the build

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have no idea what my package said. It was a long time ago. I do remember that all of those were included in mine. It is kind of funny since you pointed it all out.

ClifFord

Reaction score
Are you using the electric pump bypassing the mechanical pump, or is it in line with the mechanical pump?

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bypassed the mechanical.

I haven't really even tested this out, yet.

I know my slow progress can be frustrating. I'm sorry about that.

There will actually be no progress today. Other work takes precedence.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, your progress albeit slow, is still more progress than I've been making lately! Just have to keep plugging along, it'll be done when it's done!

ClifFord

Reaction score
What pressure is that pump putting out? I went all the way through this thread and can't see what pressure that pump is. I'm doing the same and wondering if my 10psi is good enough.

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

ClifFord

Reaction score

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It will hate life trying to pull fuel that far.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'll bet that you're right. Mine is similar to that one, BUT it is only used to fill a new fuel filter. Any other time, it's off and the mechanical pump draws fuel through it. I may damage the diaphram in the mechanical pump this way, but it takes less than a minute every couple of years or so. The chances are minimal. No, I don't put many miles on my truck. I doubt that I've put 5000 miles on it in the last year so the fuel filter doesn't get changed out very often.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will hate life trying to pull fuel that far.

It's a possibility.

If so, I think I'll probably find out fairly quickly.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I ran one on my 79 c30 that I swapped a 6.2 into. But the plain black gas one. Mounted it in place of the selector valve. (Same position on a ford)
Never watched pressure, so I cant say how it did for sure, but didn't feel like it lost pressure.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friendly reminder to anyone dealing with swapping from mechanical to electrical fuel pumps.

Don't remove the steel pipe that goes up to the fuel filter, from the mechanical pump, until you are quite sure that you are removing the mechanical pump.

It is a bear to get back on, while the pump is still mounted to the engine. I mysteriously cut my arm in several places. Still can't find the sharp edges that must be there.

I haven't tested this electric pump on the road, yet. There IS a possibility that it will not be able to pull well enough in this location, once I actually get out on the road, and go up and down the hills we have. (Some of you would call them mountains. I laugh at your 'mountains'. HA! LOL)

So, I decided to put that metal line back on.

And a new rubber line on the other fitting on the pump.

Then leave the rubber hose up on the wheel well.

This way, if it lets me down, I will not be sitting on the side of the road doing all the work I just now did. All I will have to do, is to connect my new rubber line to the glass fuel filter. (Runs the fuel from the hard line on the truck, through the fuel filter, and back to the mechanical pump.

Then connect my old clear hose, back to the top of the metal line.

A job I can do, while standing beside the truck, and using only a nut driver for the clamps. And which takes the electric pump out of the circuit, and puts the mechanical back into the circuit.

Got the last circuit run, for the fuel pump.

Have to put in the toggle, inside the cab.

And find a fuse. LOL

Then that is ready to run.

Tomorrow, I will get together all the tools I might need if I break down on the road.

Then I am going to try to get the truck started, Load up brake fluid, water, coolant, atf, and oil... And go find a flat spot somewhere to check all the fluids.

If the brakes start working even halfway decently, I'll make a small run. A few miles and back, and see how she performs.

Just taking a break right now. Still have some daylight left so I might still get some more done.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Don't remove the steel pipe that goes up to the fuel filter, from the mechanical pump, until you are quite sure that you are removing the mechanical pump.

It is a bear to get back on, while the pump is still mounted to the engine. I mysteriously cut my arm in several places. Still can't find the sharp edges that must be there.
This won't help with the cuts or sharp edges, but I do have some advice on how to make the line install a little bit easier. First install the bottom of the line into the fuel ump. Then put the upper nut back onto the fitting on the filter head. This won't make it an easy job, but will make it easier to do. If you put the top of the line on first, sometimes it's a "Mo Fo" To get the bottom lined up at the right angle to thread into the fuel pump. Another thing you can do is if you're having trouble sliding the line into the upper fitting, you can rotate the fitting slightly upward and then slip the line in the fitting and rotate the fitting back down and start the nut.