My 1991 Ford F-350 build thread

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tonight is 2 years since i bought my 1991 Ford F-350 when i bought the truck i was 16 and i paid for it with my own money, and i learned how to drive stick in my truck too. i bought it from the 2nd owner who only had it for 3 years and it had 187K on the odometer. the previous modifications on the truck was a better but still rusty set of fenders, Alcoa wheels, a champion aluminum radiator, a bench seat from a 92-97 truck, a trailer brake controller, and the guy and his buddies also 5 speed swapped the truck at some point. when i bought the truck it had new batteries and new tires, and i got a plastic bedliner and the original wheels with the hubcaps and a set of headlight lenses that were in good shape with the truck too.

i had quickly learned with the weather getting colder that i needed new glow plugs, i got some help with doing GPs but that was the only thing that the truck immediately needed. in late january of 2019 we had some -1 degree days here in eastern PA and the truck started with only 1 cycle of glow plugs and no block heater. in march of 2019 i put new shocks on the truck in Diesel Tech class and we had to do a new glow plug controller then aswell cause the old one died. between april and may of 2019 i had to do a new starter and a new VR and alternator and batteries cause when the VR quit working it fried the batteries and the alternator. in may the truck also passed inspection first try

in june of 2019 my friend helped me with doing the water pump cause the old one was leaking. during that summer i did a custom 4 inch exhaust and the truck got me to and from my summer job everyday, i got an amazing deal from a co-worker on a rust free set of fenders and wheel arch panels, i still have not put them on yet but i plan to do it, hopefully in 2021 i will finally do it

continued....

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in october of 2019 i bought the banks sidewinder turbo kit from a friend for $800 with everything there except for hardware. my friends and i rebuilt the turbo and installed it in diesel tech and it took way longer than i planned cause the only one that read the instructions that i printed out was my teacher, not even i read the instructions. total cost for the turbo kit was $1200. we got it finished up after school in November and i backed it out of the shop and went for a quick drive in the parking lot and i was amazed how much it whistled. in November of 2019 i did a custom 4 inch straight pipe and i put in a new alternator in the vo- tech school parking lot. in February of 2020 the truck blew the clutch hose i tried puting on a new one and bleeding the air out but i couldnt get the air out so i took it to a shop which sucked but atleast it got fixed. over this summer i have been going to the junkyard and i got a bunch of parts i plan to install at some point. i also got the truck dynoed over the summer, the numbers was 149 hp and 349 tq. i know its not alot of power but i had the nuts to put my truck on the dyno. i also became more confident on taking my truck on longer drives. i did have to install another starter recently but that was easy.

as of tonight i have 196,400 miles on the truck

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its awesome to see a young person getting involved with one of the older trucks. They are amazingly simple and that's what makes them great. Post some pictures so we can all see what you have done.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i got the truck it had primered front fenders that the previous owner put on, in april or may on 2019 my dad and i painted them blue.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO i try to be budget minded with stuff, and i did not want to let the opertunity pass me either. one of the advantages of doing it in Diesel Tech was that since my friends and i did the work labor was free and we had all the tools and a garage to work in

theshyguy

Reaction score
More people should be budget minded and learn to do things like you are. Looks really good!

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"i really need to update this" -everyone who has ever made a build thread about their truck. so its been a few months and a few things have changed. so in early November one of the battery connections broke so i got a new one soldered on. then i was having air intrusion problems so i did that 1/2 npt brass plug mod for where the fuel heater was and i also did a soft feedline kit from Classic Diesel Designs and the air intrusion was fixed. i got a set of glowshift gauges on the black friday sale and i got those installed and i learned more on how to do wiring. i think i need to get a new T barb for the boost gauge that isnt a restricted one cause the boost needle doesnt move much. i did (top-bottom) oil pressure, boost, and egt gauges. i want to turn up my fuel more now that i have a pyro, its been at 2 flats since i did the turbo kit. In December i got a ball hitch and pin from the junkyard so now i can tow trailers if i need to, and over Christmas break i got some help with doing the rear brakes

i wil put in some pictures soon

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is a couple pictures, one is of the fuel heater plug and the CDD feed line and the other is of the glowshift pillar gauges