mpg????

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolute ******** and here's why. There's not one fleet manager, truck driver, equipment operator, etc that I know that likes having them on their truck or machine. They reduce power and increase fuel consumption. They also cause downtime when the systems are not working. How do I know? I was dispatcher for a large civil general contractor last year. We had several trucks and pieces of equipment that had these things and they were broke down much more than the ones with the older systems. In order to get real users to use this garbage, the EPA is having to bribe them with grant money to equip their machines and even then, many owners are not going along with the program.

The only reason these things are coming is because people are too damned complacent and bow down to every dumb-assed regulation that comes down the pike. This all started in Commiefornia and it's spread like a cancer across the country because people buy into this ********. And this is one reason why new truck sales have plummeted in recent years. The people who know don't want it. City people might like it, but the rest of us don't. I'd love to see how much more this crap costs the owner over the life of a vehicle, as well as long term damage to the motor because of the restriction. My 17 year old truck with 180k miles on it runs great...will a DPF equipped truck be able to say the same? Not without a lot of money in replacement parts and repairs.

No I wouldn't put my dinner plate under my tailpipe; common sense dictates that. That would go for a diesel or a gas. If you think your exhaust after the DPF is so great, do the same. Guess what...you'll still get trash.

But if you want to keep your emissions crap and feel better about yourself, that's fine. I'm going to keep buying older trucks that I know will keep running without band-aids. You'll know it's me by the thick black cloud of death that I fart on you when your DPF is plugged and you're broke down on the side of the road.

G's get over your self i'm not implying that the system is an improvement my point was that yes the truck runs cleaner and that i would be trying to optimize my mpg with out ripping off all of the emissions equipment and by the way my jeep had over 100k miles with all the dpf and egr equipment never touched and never had one problem with anything on the engine:eek:

I look at it this way when Catalytic converters came out for gas cars people ******* and cut them off and said that it was stupid but now no one touches them cause the technology has improved and things are quite reliable sure there are some people that feel the need to remove emissions equipment from everything they own the point im trying to make is that soon you will see emissions for everything on the road and removing your dpf will probably be a federal offense just like removing your catalytic converter from a gas car.

Does a gas car run better with out a cat or egr? yes. And will a diesel run better without a dpf cat and egr? yes. Thats not my argument its not even an argument so just let it be. I really have no idea why people are getting so upset over this im not implying or suggesting anything just trying to get other peoples input on their 6.7's that still have all the oe components

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I see your point. Yes they're cleaner but the need for the cleanup is debatable. People still ***** about cats on gassers and in most cases, they gut them or get high-flow version and retune the computers to ignore the system. Same thing with EGR. Any gas performance application includes removal of emissions system.

But nevertheless, most people are so upset about the DPF because they are completely unnecessary, they are an added expense that is not wanted which drives the cost of a new truck ever higher, they cause more out-of-pocket in the from of maintenance and fuel consumption, and they are an example of a gooberment agency that does not have the American people's best interest in mind. Case in point, the systems were not a requirement to meet emissions when they were introduced in '07, but you couldn't order a truck without the garbage. It was an "option" that could not be removed. This tells me that they were either using the general public as guinea pigs to troubleshoot the system before it was mandated (most likely) or they were just too complicit to tell the EPA to go pound sand (which desperately needs to be done.)

I guess in summation, the EPA is a prime example of what is wrong in this country and I for one am tired of taking it up the ********** by these losers.

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True the DPF wasnt required in 07. the system sucked. I will give you that. we are in the infancy of the DPF...Much like the other poster said, 70s and 80s people cut off there cats. And in 10 to 15 years the DPF will be more effecient and more trouble free. I am not saying the current cummins system is with out problems. I can tell you this...working in an inclosed shop I can run a 6.7 with all the doors closed for hours and know one even notices its running. I do that with a 5.9 an older diesel and you cant get the doors open fast enough.

So you can drive your black smoke belching truck, that is great. It is your truck that the environmentalist see. They look at your truck and go hey Diesels are dirty. Lets add even more emmisions crap on them...Even on non DPF equipped diesels there is no excuse for huge clouds of smoke while driving on level ground.

Most people do not remove there DPFs or cut there cats off or disable there EGRs. There are a few but the majority are happy to just drive there car...Unless you are building a complete performance exhaust system then there is very very little benefit to removing a cat from a gas car. As far as disabling your EGR that is just dumb. EGR does not cost power.

Last edited:

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Yep. They usually get that impression when my straight pipe is screaming in their ears and blowing soot on their Prius. And you know what....I don't feel bad about that in the least.

Giving in to the demands of these enviro nuts is the problem. You comply with their demands and they will keep making more and more until we all are driving supposedly eco-friendly hybrids that run on strawberry ******.

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea but that right there is the reason why people in diesels have a bad image :frustrate not all people see it that way but some do and the ones that don't like it are the ones complaining the most causing all the rules and laws.

How the hell did this get so off topic? :***: ill stick to my first issue mileage. Like i was saying before i have ordered a Banks intake kit should be here Monday we will see how that works they rep claims it should im prove about 2-2.5mpg

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok got my cold air kit today a lot cleaner then the OE stuff with out the silencer heres a couple pics of the kit and after installation Ill let you know of any mpg gains tomarrow on my way to work hopefully it will be significant

stock vs banks filter

You must be registered for see images attach

stock vs oe piping and box

filter and lid setup

stock intake silencer

installed

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so usualy on the way to work the best mpg I could get was between 19.5 to 20 now after the banks kit was installed im getting 21.8 so not to bad for less then an hours worth of work last night if you ask me;Sweet;Sweet

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. They usually get that impression when my straight pipe is screaming in their ears and blowing soot on their Prius. And you know what....I don't feel bad about that in the least.

Giving in to the demands of these enviro nuts is the problem. You comply with their demands and they will keep making more and more until we all are driving supposedly eco-friendly hybrids that run on strawberry ******.

strawberry ****** roflmao:rotflmao im just skimming the post and that stuck out at me!

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i know this is an old post but i fully agree. this DPF $h!t is nothing but a scam for the government and auto makers to get more money from you. it is more resistance in exhause flow and common sense says thats retarded :dunno. what happens? lose efficency!!! i thought we want to conserve fuel and help the environment?? decreasing efficency is the exact opposite plus eventually this filter will clog then what? spend more money for a new one along with...wait for it...old one gets dumped!! whats that mean? well when it gets melted down the **** you trapped in it over the years is now burning off in a melting pot getting made into a new one so it contradicts itself makes tree huggers feel happy :hail on our dime of fuel efficency-cuss. you first issue "milage" ,which this has everything to do with, will increase by getting rid of this ****. anyway my little rant about the ignorant people thinking theyre helping the environment by lowering mpgs with this crap. idc about working on it its whatever but the fact is its all restrictive and does not help. the only way to get more mpg is to ditch the crap and let the vehicle breathe efficently. ;Sweet