mpg????

frez33

Reaction score
20 liter per 100 klm is that is good as it gets for fuel economy...

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mileage varies quite a bit. Unloaded on open flat roads at 70 mph...I have seen them get as high as 18 to 20. Load it up and start up in the hills it will drop...I know stating the obvious.

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got an 09 3 days ago seams to be getting 17-18mpg hopefuly it will get better my 06 that I had would get between 18-24 but thats also a different motor so we will see:dunno Has any one put any Intakes or exhaust on to help a little? Just courious not going to wast the money if its not worth it.

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havnt seen any come in to my dealership with intakes...have seen some cat back exhausts but from what I could tell it just made it louder. Have seen some cold air intakes. Not sure on the power gains once again.

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too worried about gaining power I just want to increase my MPG if possible but I dont feel like wasting money on something if it doesnt do anything

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
If you want to increase your mileage significantly, you can either get an older truck that's not choked down with useless emissions crap, or remove the emissions crap all together. There are vendors who sell kits to remove the restrictive DPF system which should give you a hefty mileage boots as well as not killing turbos every few thousand miles.

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your statements about the the DPF being restrictive and killing turbos are wrong. Vehicles with the DPF removed with one of the kits do not show significant fuel mileage gains. Unfortunately the rush of Dodge to get there newer cleaner diesel to market, they didnt have the programing quite right and they had a problem with soot build up. On 2009 and newer model years they have very few problems with the DPF and turbos.

yeah I know all the emissions crap makes it harder to work on but that is the world we live in...as much as it is a pain in the ass for you and I, they do prevent exhaust emissions.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
And that's a good thing? There's no link between diesel pickup truck emissions and any negative impacts to the environment, except in maybe Commiefornia. Complacency and cowardice do not make the laws comply with common sense or the Constitution.

As far as your expertise, I beg to differ. We have an '08 6.7 at work and it's on it's second turbo with only 68k miles on the truck and the CEL is on again. A friend also has an '08 or '09 6.7L and he was getting anywhere form 8-12 MPG on it. All the postings on the web indicate no DPF ******** means better mileage and longer service life.

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it seems your truck in question has a problem...If the check engine light is on for any reason the trucks computer system will prevent the DPF from doing its normal desoot...Keep driving it with the check engine light on and you are sure to have a plugged dpf and sooted up turbo....Your friend obviously has something wrong with his truck if he can only muster 12 mpg unloaded. I can say I have driven several 07s 08s and 09s the get over 18 with the full stock DPF in place....

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know I traded in my 07 Jeep Cherokee diesel witch by the way has a dpf as well, and never once had a single issue with the engine or emissions system and the nice thing was when you go by the exhaust pipe there was no soot at all in the pipe or on the car. Im wondering how people are driving these trucks with all these issues??? My friend did have an 07 cummins and the dpf did plug up but he drove the thing 3 miles each way to work so go figure cookoo it just iritates me the people are being ignorant at the whole situation and think that removing a emissions system is the answer to all there questions or mine. If you want to remove your dpf have at it but for me i like the truck not stinking like an old 12v71 and filling the streets with smoke so for me i will try to get the most out of the truck as it is I did order a banks CA kit for my 09 so we will see how that works but as far as the dpf i'm leaving it on :yell:

Im not pointing at any one :hail just tired or reading every post everywhere to do a dpf delete-cuss

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Because the DPF does nothing beneficial to the truck or the environment. Any purported damage that light duty trucks is insignificant when compared to OTR trucks running 100k miles a year or the industrial plants that offset their emissions by buying credits. It's documented that removing these retarded emissions systems, the truck gains efficiency and power; how is that a negative to both the economy and the environment? Now, how many potential truck owners are not buying new trucks because they don't want to replace their turbo all the time and don't want a reduction in fuel economy?

When the EPA starts screwing everyone equally I'll buy it but as it is, that's not happening with the exception of we're all having to buy the overpriced swill that they are passing off as #2 at the pumps.

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is no harmful effects of diesel emissions then get your dinner and place it under your non dpf filtered truck and rev the engine. I bet you wouldnt do that. The DPF doesnt mess up turbos at all... A system that was prematurely pushed into production that had way to many bugs is what caused the problems. . The same system in now in use on the 2010 trucks and turbo sooting is a thing of the past. The main change made to the truck was the programing of the ECM...Once you have your 07 truck updated, the soot build up problem is just about eliminated..

Also DPFs are being put on all diesel vehicles now, from OTR trucks to pump motors. like it or not get used to them. And if you do decide to take it off make sure you keep all your components because Diesel smog is coming. It will be expensive to buy if you throw it away.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
If there is no harmful effects of diesel emissions then get your dinner and place it under your non dpf filtered truck and rev the engine. I bet you wouldnt do that. The DPF doesnt mess up turbos at all... A system that was prematurely pushed into production that had way to many bugs is what caused the problems. . The same system in now in use on the 2010 trucks and turbo sooting is a thing of the past. The main change made to the truck was the programing of the ECM...Once you have your 07 truck updated, the soot build up problem is just about eliminated..

Also DPFs are being put on all diesel vehicles now, from OTR trucks to pump motors. like it or not get used to them. And if you do decide to take it off make sure you keep all your components because Diesel smog is coming. It will be expensive to buy if you throw it away.

Absolute ******** and here's why. There's not one fleet manager, truck driver, equipment operator, etc that I know that likes having them on their truck or machine. They reduce power and increase fuel consumption. They also cause downtime when the systems are not working. How do I know? I was dispatcher for a large civil general contractor last year. We had several trucks and pieces of equipment that had these things and they were broke down much more than the ones with the older systems. In order to get real users to use this garbage, the EPA is having to bribe them with grant money to equip their machines and even then, many owners are not going along with the program.

The only reason these things are coming is because people are too damned complacent and bow down to every dumb-assed regulation that comes down the pike. This all started in Commiefornia and it's spread like a cancer across the country because people buy into this ********. And this is one reason why new truck sales have plummeted in recent years. The people who know don't want it. City people might like it, but the rest of us don't. I'd love to see how much more this crap costs the owner over the life of a vehicle, as well as long term damage to the motor because of the restriction. My 17 year old truck with 180k miles on it runs great...will a DPF equipped truck be able to say the same? Not without a lot of money in replacement parts and repairs.

No I wouldn't put my dinner plate under my tailpipe; common sense dictates that. That would go for a diesel or a gas. If you think your exhaust after the DPF is so great, do the same. Guess what...you'll still get trash.

But if you want to keep your emissions crap and feel better about yourself, that's fine. I'm going to keep buying older trucks that I know will keep running without band-aids. You'll know it's me by the thick black cloud of death that I fart on you when your DPF is plugged and you're broke down on the side of the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx