MPG

RodZZilla

Reaction score
I bought a 2005 K3500 4WD a few months ago. The first few months it wasn't worth checking the mileage since we had cold weather and I had some mornings where I let it idle so I didn't have to scrape as much frost. Checked my first tank about 4 weeks ago and got 18.21 hand calculated. Not to shabby, I thought. Last weekend I downloaded the 90HP PPE tune. Pulled down a 22.35 tank. Should have done it sooner. Only bad thing is keeping from testing out the extra HP. :D

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I get about 17.5 all around last time I checked. Just rolled over 20k miles yesterday. Man I wish I could pull in 22 MPG! Course I'm only just beginning with modifications.

Tom

RodZZilla

Reaction score
Talked to the Previous Owner a week ago. Said he never got any where near the 18 I had gotten before the tuner. He traded for a 2007 Classic. Said he was getting 21 w/it.

Wonder what I could get w/a 6 Speed conversion. Don't have the $1800 bucks to find out.:eek: Maybe I can get a package deal when/IF I do the transmission. I REALLY want to load the hotter tunes into it. I am surprised how much the 90 HP tune woke it up. Very noticeable.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
You can't practically do the tranny. It's all integrated with the computer and you're more or less stuck with what you have.

I get 15 MPG pretty reliably. Somtimes as high as 16.

RodZZilla

Reaction score
Suncoast has a Valve Body and TCM kit that switches the 5 speeds to 6. It is around $1800.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
where does the extra gear come from then?

Mike

I don't know how it is physically possible, but I heard the same thing from a GM tech rep. The Ally 1000 has always been a 6 spd. At first GM wanted a 5spd so Allison prgrammed it as a 5 spd...not using the last OD gear. Again, I don't know how this is possible, but it's not the first time I've heard it. And of course I've never had one apart. I'm curious as to what other rumors are out there about this tranny.LOL

Tom

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
The extra gear is there in all the 5 spds on the road. Suncoast sells a valvebody and TCM to beable to use the double OD. Basicly you bolt on the new valve body and install the new TCM and 6th gear is unlocked.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Back on track to the origin of this thread. I'm at almost 24K miles now, and my mileage just seems to keep getting better all the time. My last tank was just a scoche under 18 MPG all around with a heavy foot.

Tom