Motor rebuild

Chance jeffrey

Reaction score
I'm wondering what brand of bearings you guys are having the best luck with
Also what are some of the weak points I can tackle while I have it open
Should I switch to a turbo block?
Also if anyone is interested in a banks sidewinder(wastegated) up pipe down pipe drain and brass oil block
Also looking to trade my e40d with transfer case and drive shafts for zf5 and transfer case and shafts if anyone would want to (might take cash )

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
If you are going N/A to turbo many suggest they have -
1) Upgraded to ARB head bolts.
2) Upgraded their IP and injectors.
3) Upgraded their head gaskets.
4) Added a pyrometer

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't see any advantage to finding a Turbo block. Some have said that they thought that the main bearing webs were cast .100" thicker, but I haven't seen any proof of that. Russ said that he's do some measuring on some blocks when he found the free time, but he may not have found it. I'm not the biggest believer in some "expert's" publications either. I've seen a bunch of misinformation on the internet. I want to see real proof.

Chance jeffrey

Reaction score
I happen to know where a turbo block is the truck had caught on fire and melted the intake hate a filter assembly plus injection pump

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest advantage of the turbo block engine is the larger wrist pin and stronger connecting rods. However this advantage is only truly experienced once you start going for big power

Chance jeffrey

Reaction score
The biggest advantage of the turbo block engine is the larger wrist pin and stronger connecting rods. However this advantage is only truly experienced once you start going for big power
What exactly is big power for this platform? Most iv seen is 290 hp and about 500 ftlbs

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forget the power numbers but from what I understand, a 110cc ip is the max for an na engine and anything bigger would benefit from the stronger internals although for longevity sake stronger is always better

Chance jeffrey

Reaction score
I forget the power numbers but from what I understand, a 110cc ip is the max for an na engine and anything bigger would benefit from the stronger internals although for longevity sake stronger is always better
My plan is to build its as strong as possible and turn down the power so it's reliable but I also don't want to turn it down so much that it pulls the same in n/a form I don't like getting passed by a semi fully loaded on a grade while I'm empty

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What exactly is big power for this platform? Most iv seen is 290 hp and about 500 ftlbs

Somewhere around 300-350hp is where things start to give out on an NA block from what I've read. There are a few IDIs in that range now. I'm not sure how high R&D got his setup.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Which honestly isn't necessarily the turbo "block". You can always get PSD rods milled to fit and run them in an NA block.

Not intending to argue, just clarifying for some reading who may not know.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Somewhere around 300-350hp is where things start to give out on an NA block from what I've read. There are a few IDIs in that range now. I'm not sure how high R&D got his setup.
I think I remember Wes saying that he had a couple with N/A rods let loose around 370-380 HP. So, in my mind, that means to keep it at 325 maximum just to have a big safety margin. Before that, he was recommending 400 HP to be the limit and I was thinking 350 HP max (again just in my mind but I like a big safety margin). Honestly, 325 flywheel HP in one of these engine will feel pretty impressive compared to what they are stock.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I remember Wes saying that he had a couple with N/A rods let loose around 370-380 HP. So, in my mind, that means to keep it at 325 maximum just to have a big safety margin. Before that, he was recommending 400 HP to be the limit and I was thinking 350 HP max (again just in my mind but I like a big safety margin). Honestly, 325 flywheel HP in one of these engine will feel pretty impressive compared to what they are stock.
Wes never gave flywheel numbers that I recall. Those were ponies on the ground, baby!

Oh man 325 wheel HP would be so sick in my pickup. I drive class B trucks with only 260!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man 325 wheel HP would be so sick in my pickup. I drive class B trucks with only 260

We're buying (leasing) a new truck next year. They spec'd it the same as the current truck. Around 260hp and 660tq. I said if we could get the next size up engine it would be very helpful with the hills. Well they did, now it's going to be 270hp LOL LOL LOL

That said, it's 270hp at like 1800rpm and 800lb/ft at like 1200rpm as opposed to 260 at 2300rpm and 660 at 1800rpm so it'll still be a nice upgrade but .... A whole 10hp LOL

The freaking 6.7 we have in the little Dodge is like.... 360hp or something nuts like that. I couldn't believe it. Truck weighs like half as much as the big one with the lower output!