Motor Mount Replacement

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my IDI needs at least one motor mount. I get a loud metal to metal sounding rattle when I shut the engine off from the passenger side mount area.

So I have seen some info on jacking the motor up from the lip of the oil pan to get clearance. Any other advice on replacing this mount?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Next time you shut down the engine try pressing in the clutch. As already posted.. My guess is the dual mass flywheel is going bad. They do make plenty of noise but still work well too.As for the mount replacement nothing special but please don't lift the engine from the bottom of the oil pan. The oil pump suction is about 3/16 clearance from the oil pan bottom. Use the pan rail like you mentioned. Motor mounts have a left and a right side and.. they have a front and back direction of installation too.. Take pics as you remove it so the new one goes back the same way. Finally the bolt hex to the mount to block are metric but the mount to frame brace are standard.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check the flywheel like you mentioned. So, press in the clutch, shut down and see if I get the same noise? If noise goes away, I likely need to replace the flywheel? Sounds fun! not!

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in reading up on the flywheels... it looks like the preferred replacement is a single mass flywheel, larger 12" clutch with the extra springs, to help take out some of the dampening lost from converting from dual to single mass.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=334512&cc=1124299&jsn=557

This setup is $250 and includes a bigger flywheel, clutch with the extra springs etc...

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That did not show up as an option on rock auto for my 89' IDI. But seeing as you have a 91' 7.3 with the 5 speed like I do, I'm guessing it will fit my truck just fine.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer Phoenix friction over the luk kits. Very affordable and I have ~80k miles on a stage one in the shop truck. That clutch has a hard life, and it’s holding much more power than it’s rated for.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That did not show up as an option on rock auto for my 89' IDI. But seeing as you have a 91' 7.3 with the 5 speed like I do, I'm guessing it will fit my truck just fine.

i pick threw the diff years for what i thought was better my truck was orig a 88
its kind of a Frankenstein lol now

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer Phoenix friction over the luk kits. Very affordable and I have ~80k miles on a stage one in the shop truck. That clutch has a hard life, and it’s holding much more power than it’s rated for.
ive always heard good things about luk.. im pushing a bit more then stock i got some r&d parts and head studs pushing 15psi
i towed a car a few 100 miles after getting my truck back together and no slippage going wot not to say your clutch is junk.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You can check the dual mass flywheels fairly easily. Just remove the inspection cover and grab the back side of the flywheel that the clutch bolts to. You shouldn't be able to move it side to side much if at all. If it does, then the flywheel's bad.