1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More encounters with the public

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BrianX128, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Jason1377

Jason1377 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I get glares no matter where I go n have people ask me what am I driving a turd i reply well I don't need a newer more complex diesel that has to has stuff added n well don't want payments either. I've owned cars motorcycles n this is my second truck I've owned n first diesel.

I've had offers from old time farmers for double what I paid for it n still said no I'll keep her, it's a simple machine great learning experience for me n has lasted 26 yrs n will last longer.

People hate parking next to it or when I idle getting my grandma in the truck shes grown to like it as well lol these trucks no matter the year are a pure joy to drive/work horse n I don't have to sloush much being 6"4 1/2

Dirtleg and riphip like this.
  2. Oledirtypearl86

Oledirtypearl86 Full Access Member

So today I'm at the gas station and a lady jumps in her car (late 2000 ford expedition) fires it up and in a big cloud of white smoke and then the ticking and slight knocking start I thaught I would be nice and bring it to the lady's attention so I knocked on the window and she rolled it down I In formed her she may be a little low on oil she replied my son just changed it it's fine I politely said ok just hearing it concerned me as she rolled the window up she called me a fu##ing smart ass as i was leaving town shewas on the side of the road what' people's issues now days

Sorry had to rant to people who would understand

Dirtleg likes this.
  3. compressionignitionrules

compressionignitionrules Full Access Member

maybe she meant drained it...............................:kick::rotflmao

I own all my vehicles and don't care what it looks like unless the MTO or police warn me. tore the front plastic off the VW jetta front bumper from backing up in deep snow . drove it liek that over 1.5 yrs and only thing i got when pulled over was 'where's the front licence plate?" I pointed to the front window and cop just said "ok carry on" .

I commute from a very rural area to a suburban centre with a new LRT system and 4>8 lanes divided highway, its a drastic contrast. older vehicles just get extra space on the road!:Thumbs Up
    I can hardly wait to get the big ugly on the road in a few weeks. it will score me lots of space and probably a few dirty looks. 97 F350 crewcab 4x4 solid but rusty , looking at tube bumpers this week for it. :cheers:

DSC01101.JPG

as long as its safe nobody should be able to dictate what you can drive.

riphip, Dirtleg, chillman88 and 2 others like this.
  4. Randy Bush

Randy Bush Full Access Member

I drive a dually 4x4 cc long box most days , my work truck. And there are time when I will use two spots to park. Some of the parking lots are so tight , made for little cars. I really don't care if people like it or not I am not going to get stuck and have to take for ever to get out. I will try though to park out on the ends though . And if I am pulling the work trailer, well that is a whole different story then when parking. LOL

5. snicklas

snicklas 6.0 and Loving It!! Staff Member

I have to agree with everyone saying the smaller the vehicle the worse they drive/park. The smallest vehicle I occasionally drive is a 4 door S-10 Blazer, and it’s like a go-kart...... everything else is a full size truck or SUV..... It’s amazing how many times I’m parked correctly in a space, and can’t get in because of the car beside me.

The other day, I parked my F-150 in the parking garage. The garage has a pass through in the middle of each floor, to cross back over to the next floor, along with the cross over at each end. I was parked in the last space, where the center cross over is. The drive is to my passenger side, and to the drivers side is several open spaces to the next parked vehicle. I park and head to the elevator. When I get down stairs, I realize I left something I needed in the truck. So I went back upstairs, and when I get to the truck, someone had already parked next to me, in the minute or so I was gone. This is what I encountered.....

6943D476-8971-4059-B389-EB3190CAF079.jpeg

78AFCF91-0A76-48F7-8234-A447C586BBBD.jpeg

As you can see, the other spaces are empty, but they still had to crowd the space I was in, and was crooked in the space. Parking garages seem to be worse than an open lot. In this garage I’ve seen people park where there are not spaces, park in the aisles, park several feet from the wall, or my favorite was the crew cab truck that was so far away from the wall, the rear doors on the cab were still in the aisle. That was a tight squeeze to get by. Or the 2 full size pickups parked across from each other right on the corner. Makes it difficult to get through also.

Also as said above, I don’t care what other people say or the looks. What you are driving will always be to big/small/old/new/rusty/dirty/clean/tall/short/wrong color for someone. I heard all the questions/complaints about my F-150 when I bought it. Why did you get a 2wd, or just a regular cab, or didn’t get a V-8, or a platinum..... why did you want just a simple truck..... because that’s what I wanted, I wasn’t buying you a truck...... I have a 4x4 I can drive if I need to..... I’m happy with my truck, and if you don’t like it, I don’t care.......

riphip, Dirtleg, Jason1377 and 4 others like this.
  6. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver Full Access Member

I hope you gave her a polite ‘honk honk’ as you passed by.

Oledirtypearl86 and Dirtleg like this.
  7. austin92

austin92 Full Access Member

I always park way out in the back to avoid the idiots that can’t park. At work there’s probably 50 parking spots for 13 of us so I park on the line. Still get people right up against me as If the other 40 spots weren’t good enough. The other day I had to run into the mall(only open barber place) and I parked literally at the back of the lot. There was probably 10 spaces between me and the next car but still came out to someone right next to me. It’s like they’re too ignorant to make a decision by themselves and just have to fall into line with what everyone around them is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chillman88 and Dirtleg like this.
  8. Mulochico

Mulochico Supporting Member Supporting Member

That hits it right on the nose. Someone else makes a decision and then its not my fault. It amazes me how that shows itself in so many ways wen dealing with the public.

9. stealth13777

stealth13777 Full Access Member

A lot of people’s opinions aren’t worth squat. The people who matter probably see your truck (a rarity in a newer f150) and really like it.

We had all kinds of people with brand new trucks at the last place I worked. Know which one got the most attention? The guy with a base model f150 short bed. It had platinum wheels and tires but was otherwise clearly a base model, white truck. The tire story was funny because when the local utility company got a platinum for the boss, something in their rules said it had to have the same wheels and tires as the regular trucks. So they had swapped them off his truck. He refused to pay for the upgrade and they just gave it to him. Honestly it was the best looking truck in the lot.

People would ask all the time who had bought the ‘real truck’. People in the know like these IDIs too. My wife will kill me, but if I ever happen across one of those Texas deals that keep being posted on here....

Also on topic. I don’t know what it is, but people around here get super offended if you pass them. I’m not tailgating, not flashing them, just passing when the lines go dotted, legally. Because they are usually going well under the speed limit and I’d like to go a little faster-usually about 5 over. Even had them floor it to try and keep me from passing, try to swerve over as I go by, or get right on my bumper for miles and flash me, even though I’m going faster than they were in the first place.

10. austin92

austin92 Full Access Member

I go through the same stuff out here. I don’t get people. I don’t have the desire to act like that, why do so many others?

How about people driving with high beams, light bars, and STUPID bright aftermarket headlights? They don’t care who they blind or if they even cause a wreck!

The idiots ruined my ability to enjoy driving anymore. Although most of them are scared of black smoke so it probably evens out in the end lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chillman88, Dirtleg and stealth13777 like this.
  11. Dirtleg

Dirtleg Full Access Member

Yeah I'm not sure why people get so offended when you pass. I have to travel about 20 miles on a 2 lane with a 55 speed limit twice a week. People are routinely going 45-50. But in the passing areas they'll go 65-70 and then slow back down to 45-50.

If I'm in my car it's not an issue to blow by them easily but in the truck it's annoying.

Occasionally someone you pass will get bent out of shape for ??? reason. Those people have bigger problems in their life than me apparently. Let them act a fool. But I don't let them repass me. Not willing to be brake checked by someone acting stupid.

stealth13777 and chillman88 like this.
  12. pafixitman

pafixitman Registered User

Don't get me started on the "road" rules. I commute 121 miles on way - through rural Lancaster county PA, passing horse and buggies to just outside Philadelphia - dealing with the Tesla, Porsche SUV, Land Rover driving idiots. For the most part it is not too hateful. Coworkers ask me why I don't take the turnpike. Honestly, two lane 40 mph roads through farm country suits me just fine!

My personal pet peeve is Home Depot. We are not a huge business but currently we run about 20k a year through them (10 - 12 through Lowes). Easter Sunday morning in contractor parking was a Corvette. Guess what guy had to park next to him and load 48 sheets of drywall? It was the only space available and I was not pushing the cart across the parking lot. (It also amazes me how if I am with Erica, no attendant will even offer to assist.) Vette driver was not too happy when he walked out. Oh well!

We tend to park in left field but knew what we were getting and wanted to be close to the product.

F350camper and chillman88 like this.
  13. snicklas

snicklas 6.0 and Loving It!! Staff Member

You are right, now that I have the truck, and people I know see I’m driving something “new” (I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time) make the comment that those are hard to find. Mine also is a bit different, that it’s Ingot Silver, rather than the Oxford White most XL “work trucks” are. When we start talking about it, and I tell them it was a private owner, rather than a fleet truck, and they see some of the better options, like the nicer factory stereo/cd changer, cloth seats, cruise.... they really like it. My truck is easy to find in a parking lot. There’s 4x4 SuperCrews all over the lot, but only 1 or 2 regular cab trucks.

stealth13777 likes this.
  14. Jason1377

Jason1377 Supporting Member Supporting Member

May I intrude and excuse my lack of punctuation, for a different perspective on this topic we all as humans have a flaw judge to quick as well as harsh for example the theme so far is general public has a distaste for old diesel trucks or cars they want more modern vehicles loads of tech stuff but tend to forget what there was vehicles before we discovered horse/buggy.
    Simpler times it's for us as humans to not take the path of judgement if your happy with what material items you have and worked for or discovered,then why let some one get under your skin with negative things that in itself makes you just like the person or persons you speak of in distaste this person thought my truck or car looked like shit but there rig will fall apart/is made of junk plastic or over seas junk parts.

Just my humble perspective I've made a post or two in as well but do see another view as well, heard a old phrase the other day a young couple in the late teens was discussing getting a place there or an was saying they wouldn't need to keep up with the Jones it struck me that some young ladies an gents realise this an if something makes you happy that's one key to life beside not judging any one else, we are not all the same we was all born different for a reason what path we choose in life helps sorry just a different view all vehicles have good a bad if your ride makes you happy good if you love to disassemble/tinker with it awesome at the end of the day it's yours. Show it with pride/honor let negative flow past