Moog's SSD121 steering stabilizer

sieg01

Reaction score
I am running into trouble installing the Moog steering damper on an '94 E-350.

Does any member have such system installed?
Could you pls make a picture and publish it here.

I am running from one problem to another and since the package does not come with an instruction manual, I am wasting time...

Thanks.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Its a generic kit meant for a solid-axle truck. Pretty sure its what's on my Dodge right now.

One bracket clamps to the axle tube (3" ubolts) and the other clamps to the tie-rod (smaller ubolts).

On my '95 F350, I could skip the axle tube bracket and use the factory stabilizer eyelet on the spring perch.

EDIT: I found this write-up on adding the OE stabilizer.
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/ch...ercial-steering-damper-on-2002-ford-e-350-van

Last edited:

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some of mine. Note it's installed between the passenger side rail and the center piece of the pitman arm assembly

You must be registered for see images attach

sieg01

Reaction score
Thanks u2slow.

Its a generic kit meant for a solid-axle truck. Pretty sure its what's on my Dodge right now.
Hm. As this article number is promoted to be for an Eco - I expected that it will be an easy fit.

One bracket clamps to the axle tube (3" ubolts) and the other clamps to the tie-rod (smaller ubolts).

On my '95 F350, I could skip the axle tube bracket and use the factory stabilizer eyelet on the spring perch.

It seems that I may need to get creative as well.
And if so - then the Moog is expensive and the SSD121 not worth the money.

Yes, I found this also and this solution looks much better than the Moog. But I searched for the stabilizer and found this link after I started with the Moog install.

sieg01

Reaction score
Thanks BeastMaster for your effort! I appreciate it!

Here's some of mine. Note it's installed between the passenger side rail and the center piece of the pitman arm assembly

Your pictures give me an idea how I may need to do it - if no other Moog SSD121-owner can show how Moog thought that their system should get installed.
I would expect that Moog did some "brain storming" before creating these mounting brackets. Because the brackets make the price...

Btw. before I started this thread here, I joined discussion there: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1035634-a-real-econoline-steering-fix-36.html#post19337936 and the Moog problem description here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1035634-a-real-econoline-steering-fix-36.html#post19339498

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting your research links, sieg. It's all the sharing that goes on over here that keeps all of us informed.

God knows how much these folks have helped me. If it comes right down to bare metal, this forum is why I bought my van in the first place...right down to body type and it's IH NA IDI engine. After lurking around here a couple of years, I knew exactly what I wanted, and why.

Found a couple more. I couldn't get under there in the right place so I held the phone under there and snapped away for a while, then selected some to send.

Last edited:

sieg01

Reaction score
Thanks for posting your research links, sieg. It's all the sharing that goes on over here that keeps all of us informed.

I started investigation after I ran into trouble. And I did not collect the visited links since non of them were directing to the Moog steering damper kit.

God knows how much these folks have helped me. If it comes right down to bare metal, this forum is why I bought my van in the first place...right down to body type and it's IH NA IDI engine. After lurking around here a couple of years, I knew exactly what I wanted, and why.

See my second sentence here: :D https://www.oilburners.net/threads/remote-mount-filter.81599/page-2#post-1056824

Found a couple more. I couldn't get under there in the right place so I held the phone under there and snapped away for a while, then selected some to send.

Thanks, I got the impression.
I also contacted Moog and I'll see how they can help. Otherwise I may be doing it your way...

Enjoy the midsummer weekend!

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Getting pics from my phone to the PC isn't as easy at it used to be... so I'm digging in my 'archives'.

Its clamped to the axle housing near the diiff pumpkin, and clamped to the tie-rod at the other end.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U2slow: .Android? WIN7? Using a SD card?

I find running "FTP Server Pro" on the phone and WSFTP6.EXE on WIN7 works for me.

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/ws-ftp-le-6

https://apk4free.net/ftp-server-pro/

And set the ftp server home folder custom directory to your sd card address ( for me, it's /storage/3664-3065 ). Yours will be slightly different. The file manager in Android finds it as the ad card )

Then you log both your phone and computer into the same access point, mine is a plain old home router.

On the wsftp end, the remote port is 2221. That's the port the Android end is using. For convenience, both programs can be set to wake up in specific directories. So you don't have to constantly waddle through system stuff to get to your personal stash.

All the file transfer decisions, from/to phone, and where, is controlled from the PC. The ftp server in the Android acts more like a USB connector over the air allowing wsftp to see it.

This is really off topic. I am open for further discussion if we open another thread.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Beast: I just miss the days back when my Blackberry took 'normal' sized pics by default (1024x768) and I could connect my usb cord and simple drag n drop n upload. Now that same process feels like 2-3 times the effort. WSFTP is a familiar throwback... thanks for the tip. :cheers:

sieg01

Reaction score
Getting pics from my phone to the PC isn't as easy at it used to be... so I'm digging in my 'archives'.

Its clamped to the axle housing near the diiff pumpkin, and clamped to the tie-rod at the other end.

Thanks for the pictures. Mine is a 2WD.

Seems that the Moog SSD121 isn't installed often.

sieg01

Reaction score
As alternatives to the Moog's system, I found this one:
You must be registered for see images

Product link: https://weldtecdesigns.com/product/e-series-steering-stabilizer-kit/
The fox damper looks good and seems to be well designed.

But as my van looks from below like here:
img_20200619_172003212-jpg.129493

I would say the lower radiator hose is in the way as well as our steering cooler.

So - if I wouldn't have bought the Moog's I would search for the solution, u2slow mentioned first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online