Missing components

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BrianX128, Jan 10, 2018.

1. BrianX128

BrianX128 Supporting Member Supporting Member

20180109_104023.jpg

Thanks to good old road salt in pa my old 300 is gonna need a radius arm. And it's my lucky day cause it's never been replaced and still has rivets under the bushing towards the front axle. Other side is a whole different world of still there and it's an original too.

This will be a great time I'm sure. Anyone else notice a part of their truck go missing lately? Same truck my smog pump was half siezed so since I'm in a no emissions area it got punted and I got a new short serpentine belt and re touted everything. Amazing how much quieter the engine got. 291k original miles and still going. Just losing a few parts- some needed some not.

Nick382, chillman88 and Runningaford like this.
  2. Runningaford

Runningaford Registered User

WOW!

3. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

This crap is why I get frustrated when people who haven't dealt with rust say "just hit it harder it'll come out" Southerners get a stuck torsion bar out with a bfh, sometimes up here even a torch won't loosen them.

Thewespaul likes this.
  4. jwalterus

jwalterus Made in America

I betcha that one would come out pretty darn easy with a BFH.......

Might not be any mount left to put it back in though! LOL

chillman88 likes this.
  5. Nick382

Nick382 Full Access Member

My radiator support closely resembles Swiss cheese. Rest of the truck chassis is pretty clean given the age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. pelky350

pelky350 Full Access Member

That amount of rust Is crazy to me, we only see that on vehicles that spend many years on the coast around here. My truck has a little rust but it sat for 10 years, I wouldn't know that to do that that much lol

7. chillman88

The best fix for that much rust is duct tape and rubberized undercoating. :joker:

I jest but people around here have done that....:(

8. pelky350

pelky350 Full Access Member

Couldn't that be prevented somehow? Or isn't there like rust killer paint?

9. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

Prevented? Sure. Wash extremely often if driven when salt and crap is on the roads.
    Use undercoating.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

10. jwalterus

You forgot to mention a front main seal that leaks good on a highway driven rig helps.

11. snicklas

snicklas 6.0 and Loving It!! Staff Member

Here is one for you. The 91 Jetta Diesel I just recently sold was a northern car all it's life. It came from Michigan when I bought it from Darrin, and I brought it to Central Indiana. If I banged on the bumper hard, or happened to bump the bumper with one of the other vehicles when I parked in the driveway, chunks of rust would fall off the car. Worse from the bumper, but if you looked around the car, you could find rust lying under it everywhere. That is what a salt belt vehicle is like. If I had to do any work under it, every fastener put up a fight. All of my older vehicles (pushing 20 years old) have had to have at least one brake line repaired......

12. BrianX128

BrianX128 Supporting Member Supporting Member

The worst part is the rust is in random spots but others are so clean based on where the wheels fling the most stuff. That part of the frame is a disaster but yet two feet past it the frame looks good. This truck actually was undercoated too. Im sure its gonna be a pain next weekend to do but a grinder a wire wheel and an impact will eventually get me success.

13. jwalterus

The worst is care with an immaculate undercoat that only get driven in summer.
    My clown car for example.
    Was a summer econo-box grandpa's car.
    No rust showing, undercoat perfect, carpet unstained, just had been smoked in and had a ding on the right front fender.
    I drove it for a week, and my foot fell through the floorboard when I placed it just right and the undercoat gave way, I had a big ol' patch of rusted out floorboard. :frustrate
    I fixed it in a couple hours though. There's a reason I keep empty 55 gallon drums around that won't hold liquid. LOL

14. chillman88

Yeah that undercoating is nice... until it dries up and starts holding moisture IN. My F350 will get oil undercoating but never that rubberized stuff. I had an old 86 that had original dealer undercoating and a couple nice rot holes with a lot of peeling undercoat.