Might be getting a throttle body 350 chevy...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Check the rear diff cover for a tag. If you think it's stock, I believe the glovebox should have a factory options sticker. (Can't remember exactly what it's called)

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Okay so tonight I took my truck for a drive (about 3 miles) and when i pulled in my driveway and shut the truck off it made like a air rushing or almost like a shuttering sound. Then I tried to start it back up right after and it kinda didnt want to start. Took a few more seconds than usual. Any idea what would cause this?

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You dont want to go a carb. you will have to figure out a choke for it witch is a pain in the ass when its cold and you will lose performance. Most all of the big carb companies make aftermarket throttle bodies but a cam would help. since your truck is pre vortec you could also get a set of vortec heads. They flow a lot better.

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Makes sense jasper but there's no way it could have been overheated. It sat in 20 degree weather for hours and I only went less than 2 miles. And the temperature gauge was buried on the cold end. And i drove it 10 miles to work today and didn't do anything abnormal

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If the coolant was frozen, it won't register on the gauge, and will do exactly what you explained.
I've seen it firsthand with lot's of gas engines, Chevy's mainly.

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Doubt the coolant was frozen. Not that cold and didnt sit that long. Only about 3 and a half hours. I did some researching and saw something about it being the distributor running backwards after the truck shuts off or something like that?? Any idea?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Engines will kick back sometimes.
But I wouldn't think it should that much. Unless it was rebuilt for higher compression.
But if it kicked back enough, I could see it blowing air out the intake.
:dunno

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
yeah that kind of makes sense. that's probably the best guess anyone could have. i did mess with the timing of my distributor a few months ago so that may have something to do with it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If it's way too far advanced, it can cause it. I think retarded might cause it also.
I might have those backwards. It's been so long since I was in the gas engine game.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Not saying it is impossible, but fuel injected stuff shouldnt diesel, because the fuel is shut off. Does it run ok? Do you know how to properly set the timing? There is a small window the timing can be set it, and it you get out of it, they will run goofy.

Does it idle down all the way once warm?