Mercedes Sprinter

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well a steal of a deal is coming into my lap for a 2011 Mercedes Sprinter Passenger van. Grandfather bought it new to camp in, and he is meticulous at maintaining it. I don't know the mileage on it but I would venture to guess south of 100k. He said KBB trade in value was 16k on it, but is wanting to sell to me for 10k (hence, a steal of a deal).

Now besides being stupid big it does offer a lot of room where we could actually camp as a family until I decide to get a TT or 5th wheel. It is a high roof long wheel base 2500. From googling it has the OM642 V6 irrc and 5 speed auto. What to look out for?

I already told him its obviously worth more and if we decide to dump it I will likely profit on it, which he was fine with.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Not much to add but a few weeks ago I was talking to a carpenter (My IDI caught his eye) that has a 2500, high roof cargo but with a Dodge badge. Not sure of his year but he bought it new. He said the thing is flawless mechanically mid 100k (130 - 160) IIRC. His only complaint was rust - door bottoms, wheel wells and step area. Remember this is Maryland where they pre treat roads with liquid death. It is also his work truck so I am sure it has not seen a wash or wax in years.

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
High Top Sprinter or Ford Transit will likely be my next service van, set up so that the tools can be off-loaded quickly and go on a road trip/camping. One complaint I've heard is that the front wheel drive struggles to get traction on some of these newer vans because of the weight being in the back...tools equipment and such.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Seen a lot of people turn those into cross country travelling/camping rigs.
Hear the diesels get a good mileage.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They are killer on fuel, I've seen one with a big hose crimper and enough hose and fittings to choke and elephant and still knock down north of 20 MPGs, way better unloaded and they are notorious bulletproof.

Nice catch Justin ;Sweet

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seen a lot of people turn those into cross country travelling/camping rigs.

My Uncle has a motorhome based on the sprinter chassis. 24’ long with pop outs that take up the whole side. Super nice inside and he gets 18-20 in his. Better than his Jeep Grand Cherokee. Better than any of my vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've had them here for years now , transits as well. They go really well when they are newer but at the first sign of trouble just quit it and get a newer one before the repair bills put you in the poorhouse. Courier drivers here have had all of these european vans as well as some of the more adventurous guys trying out the chinese equivalents.
Most commercial courier guys here drive diesel Toyota Hiaces and get over 500000km before reporting problems whereas you hardly see a european van in the fleet nowadays.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well we got to take a look at it this weekend while they swung thru from Arizona back home to Minnesota. It saw its first snow driving up through the mountains, maybe it will see salt for a few days. They are getting it detailed and the seats put back in, then driving back. They are replacing it with a new Transit T-250 medium roof ecoboost.

And boy is that turbo a whistler on that thing. Pretty sure they came factory with GTB2056VK turbo's but I may be off.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I hear there's only one company that does 4x4 conversions on those.
Well, at least what cody/wranglerstar says. No reason not to believe it though. Lol

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well sounds like next weekend they are headed back over to deliver it to us. Getting pretty excited tbh mostly because we are going to use it to camp in it. 9' of space in the back if we remove the rear bench!