mechanical fuel pump differences

dakota

Reaction score
Howdy everyone,
I have a 1991 ford F250 7.3 idi and my fuel pump went and i went out and got a new one but the OEM mechanical fuel pump is different than the stock one. meaning the arm that the rides on the crank is longer and more straight than on the stock original fuel pump and i didnt want to put it in and try and crank my truck over just in case the arm is too long and it will damage my motor. I dont have any pictures right now but i could some. All im asking is will the longer arm on the OEM part work fine or will i need to track down an original fuel pump with the shorter more bent arm?

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine was the same way for my 88, I then opted to do an Epump

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The original more bent one isnt made anymore from what I've heard, the longer flat one is the replacement for it. I have one in my truck right now after replacing my factory more angled one

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Not a problem but you bet it looks like someone sold you the wrong one. Just be very careful when installing it. You MUST get the arm UNDER the cam lobe. Getting it on top will ruin the pump. One member here was rebuilding his 6.9 and found three broken arms in the oil pan.. He was really surprised and was asking if these were something special. His previous rig owner must have been a slow learner...

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford made the same pump with many different arms. Get the correct arm, which may or may not be what you removed.