Making the change over to Hydroboost.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Im looking to convert over to hydroboost and wondering if there are any new units being made and if they are worth a darn. I have the power steering reservoir with the return port so I dont have to source that. Also planning to use the proportioning valve. Thanks for the info

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, the fact that its a Motorcraft makes me feel a bit better. Price seems reasonable. Might pull the trigger on that.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I just did for my Ex Wife. They didn't list the Motorcraft one the last time that I looked.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Like Laine D I was seriously considering a rear disc conversion but feel the upgrade to Hydro-boost ,a proportioning valve and becoming one with my rear drum brakes , will get me where I want. I dont haul heavy alot, but would like to know I could stop when I did.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sure seems like a good price to me. Not even a core charge.

I have noticed on new parts, no core charge or a returned part.
With rebuilts, then a core charge, and then send back the old part.

I was at Hot August nights in Reno, and one of the vendors had Hydrobost set up display. They are located in Sacramento and have been in business since 1948. They do big rigs as well as Street Rods.

The one the had that would fit my 86 was $450, including the MC. The display one had the old rusty iron one I was trying to get away from. Maybe a later aluminum style like 89 and later use would work. IDK.

www.powerbrakes.com

Goat

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed on new parts, no core charge or a returned part.
With rebuilts, then a core charge, and then send back the old part.

I was at Hot August nights in Reno, and one of the vendors had Hydrobost set up display. They are located in Sacramento and have been in business since 1948. They do big rigs as well as Street Rods.

The one the had that would fit my 86 was $450, including the MC. The display one had the old rusty iron one I was trying to get away from. Maybe a later aluminum style like 89 and later use would work. IDK.

www.powerbrakes.com

Goat
From everything I've read the MC on anything but a superduty is too small. Guys often complain about poor brakes until they get the SD MC then they can stop going vertically downhill. :oops: :joker:

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been running an 08 hydroboost and MC for years now, the 08 MC uses a 1-1/2” bore instead of the 1-5/16” bore on the 90s truck. The bigger MC won’t fit the older hydroboost.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
When I did the Hboost on my 95, I notched the stock MC to fit. The brake performance was not lacking. It was huge upgrade from vacuum.

Maybe the SD master is better, but I wasn't going to try that until I had discs in the rear too.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the great info. Are there any upgrades you can do for the rear drums. I really need to refresh my memory on how to properly adjustment those.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As far as I know, just good shoes, adjustment, etc. The hydroboost itself is an upgrade. As for the adjustment, I jack up one side so that you can spin the tire while you're doing the adjustment. All you're interested in is the free spin where nothing inside grabs. If you do one side at a time, the tire will only spin a little bit either way. I tighten the adjuster until I can feel the slightest amount of resistance to the free spin. Sometimes, if it's really still outside, you can hear the brake shoes dragging on the drum, but I just use the resistance to tell when it's right. I hope this didn't confuse you too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online