Major oil leak - engine sounds fine?

bluesub

Reaction score
Hi, my wife drove my 88 6.2 Suburban this evening and when she got home I noticed a major oil puddle under the truck. ALL of the oil is now up and down my driveway (6 35lbs bins of cat litter is not quite enough). However, whatever happened happened right in the driveway. The oil on the undercarriage doesn't even reach back to the tranny and there is no oil on the street. There was no "bang" or loud noise to indicate a rod going through the block or anything. Also, the engine sounds perfect. All the oil mess seems to be near the filter housing on the drivers side. All the oil leaked out in about 5 mins. Any suggestions on what could have happened? I can't look at it any more tonight because I have to get to work early in the morning. I can give more detail tomorrow afternoon. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because this is our only vehicle. Thanks!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
these trucks have an external oil cooler with connections that feature leaky o-rings. follow the hose connection into the block.

bluesub

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It was an oil cooler line. It had rubbed on a metal flange under the fire wall until a couple holes developed. I have a new one coming tomorrow so I'll have it installed tomorrow afternoon.

I said in my original post I'd give more detail and that regards the other issue that happened at the same time but ended up being unrelated.

The mess was worse than it needed to be because of an electrical problem that killed all power to lights, accessories, ignition. The only thing electrical functioning was the glow plug light glowing constantly. My wife couldn't even shut the truck off and didn't know what to do. Once I got there I shut off fuel supply to turn off the engine.

After some checking around and verifying connections etc...everything seemed like it was working fine. Until I turned the headlights on. When I turn the lights on the glow very faintly and the glow plug light comes on and obviously draws power. Is there an obvious place to start my search for the short?

Thanks again!

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would just set aside time to trace your wire harness for any cuts n such