Loud noise, black smoke, loss of power

Jdog87

Reaction score
Driving today my truck became really loud like my muffler fell off. It started pouring black smoke with very little acceleration. When trying to accelerate it pours black smoke and has trouble gaining speed. The oil pressure gauge raised a bit and heat gauge went to half vs quarter.
Any help would be awesome. THANKS

Jdog87

Reaction score
It is 2 quarts low would that cause that meaning right at the bottom of the fill line.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year? What IDI (6.9 - 7.3)? What modifications have been done? Mileage total? Mileage on IP/injectors? Other symptoms? What else have you checked? Still doing it? If so...... any chance you could post up a video?

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like the injection pump is going bad. How many miles are on it and the injectors? Also are you running any duel additive?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Is your truck turbo or N/A? It sounds a little bit like your up pipe fell off or maybe your cross over pipe did or rusted through. Whatever, it sounds like you aren't spinning your turbo (if you have one) and aren't building boost. The black smoke would be from not having enough air to burn all of the fuel that your engine's getting, in my line of thinking.

Jdog87

Reaction score
It's a 94 non turbo 7.3 with 227000 miles on it. I don't know when the IP was replaced or if it has. There is some moisture on the bottom nut where the plunger valve is(sorry for the lack of termonolagy). As far as the injectors go I don't think they were replace. The exhaust seams all complete. I did notice it does take a extra crank to get it to start the last week. I do run additives but skipped on the last two tanks due to forgetting to buy it.

Runningaford

Reaction score
At first read of the OP, are you sure you didn't fill up with gasoline? I remember several years back, for running conduit to parking lot light poles, a rental yard brought us out a diesel ditchwitch rock saw. It ran fine off the trailer, but not long, and it ran like crap with little to no power, poured black smoke, and the temp gauge was higher than normal.... I was dumb founded, then their mechanic came out, and figured it out.

Jdog87

Reaction score
I am 99% sure it was diesel. I ran a 100 miles on the tank before it did this. As far as the timing goes it runs fine just pours black smoke and is gutless