lost!

mgola

mgola
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 04 F250 4x4 6.0 with 155000 miles on it, running a edge evolution cs and stock exhaust and having multiple problems with it. Possibly all related but maybe not. I have CEL codes of P0299, P0401, P1000, P2262, and P2285? The first problem i have is the engine will buck and surge, like it idles up on its own while slow driving and crusing. It will also do it when i stop at a light causing the truck to surge forward. Almost hit a few cars already. it will clear up, then come back a few minutes later. The other (major) problem is i lost turbo boost. the truck will only build 4 lbs of boost under full throttle. This occured recently, started the truck, let it warm up, then no boost. I can hear a sound of rushing air coming from behind the turbo so im thinking sticking vanes, but idk i dont have much expierence with the vgt turbos. i can tell you the percentage of the duty cycle for the turbo, according to the edge chip. dont know if that will help. All ive done is pull the EGR and checked it. There was no soot build up and the valve seemed to open and close smoothly. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Next step is for the truck is a small bonfire if I cant fix it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Does the truck still have an EGR Valve? It could be stuck, or it sounds as if you may have blown a boot in the CAC piping? How many miles on, and brand of fuel filters?

The surge could be from fuel pressure issues, but with the P2285 it could be an ICP Issue. Looking at the other codes, it is not seeing the proper boost..... could be EGR or Boot/Cooler issue. Could have blown a boot, or a tank off the cooler. A acquaintance of mine blew the boot from the out to the cooler to pipe boot, my son was riding with them, and he was waiting for something to come through the hood the boom was so loud when it blew.....

Codes:
P0299 - Turbo Charger Underboost
P0401 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insuff Detected
P1000 - Monitor Checks Not Complete-More Driving Required
P2262 - Turbo Boost Pressure Not Detected - Mechanical
P2285 - Injector Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Low

mgola

mgola
Reaction score
it still has the EGR in place, I did pull it out and check for buildup and operation. It was clean and operating normal. I replaced the fuel filters at the same time with wix filters. about 3500 miles ago. I thought it might be the ICP, but that code has only came on once. Intercooler, pipes, and hoses appear to be good with no leaks, but I dont have a way to pressure check them without spending time making adaptors and stuff. I dont want to start throwing parts at it yet

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Bad thing about a boot leak, you may not see it unless it is under pressure.... I have seen split boots that act fine, until someone is towing and really working the truck, then the boost levels are up, and blow the split open.... when putting around empty it holds...

How do they look? Are they full of oil? Did the WIX Fuel filter have the membrane over the primary filter?

Take a look at this thread that I started:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53659

Not all filters are the same and some should not be used to on a 6.0.... not sure the WIX should be used. The Membrane is the water separator for the truck, if that membrane is not on the primary filter (the one that on the frame rail, next to the transfer case, under the drivers side). I know that in the past, if a truck was to go into a Ford shop, with a filter that does not have the membrane for the water separator and there is injector damage, the void the warranty..... so the customer is on the hook for repairs for using and improper filter (it is considered improper since it does not meet Ford specs since it does not have the water membrane) just because it fits, does not mean it is right......

Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Snicklas: thanks for the heads up on the membrane, just found out that they NAPA filters do not have the membrane, which is pretty hard to believe but I just verified it with a spare set of filters.

Thanks again ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online