Looking for a new air filter for my '86 6.9. What's the best way to go?

Mullet Man

Reaction score
My old air filter has very little life left and I'm just looking to see what is the best filter for performance.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to go with OEM, a good old Fram should do the trick and they seem to filter well.
The best stock filter would be WIX IMO.
The best performance filter would have to be AEM dryflow in my books. They are awesome filters compared to K&N.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A tubesock is great compared to k&n. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I bet lol. Got one on my YJ because PO had it on there when I bought it. I recently took off the cold air intake and found dust in the tube.
Going to toss that thing in the trash soon and buy an AEM.

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
I seriously doubt you'll see any performance gain from any aftermarket filter a mostly stock, N/A engine. I'd stick with a good ol' fashioned paper filter from somebody like WIX and enjoy the fact that you're not sucking in a bunch of dirt from a "high flow" filter.

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fram and wix are good at filtering. But they dont have much media and plug up quickly. I found that Baldwin filters have much more media. Last a long time before they pull the filter restriction gauge down.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I got WIX with the foam wrap for my 87 6.9. The foam helps catch bigger junk, prolonging the life of the paper filter.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got WIX with the foam wrap for my 87 6.9. The foam helps catch bigger junk, prolonging the life of the paper filter.
That foam is too restrictive! It pulls my filter minder as soon as I put the new filter in. Plus it makes the engine smoke. Its actully more of a sound deadner anyway.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do go with the K&N(or knockoffs therof), soak the darned thing wih the "filter charger" oil. There's no reason not to over-oil it, which will trap dust better.
For a n/a IDI, though, just get the napa air filter. Works fine.

Personally, I run k&n knockoff filters on my Banks turbo trucks, 4" cone filters. I replace them every two cleanings, because I tend to damage them... but at $20/each, it's cheaper than anything else I can find.