Looking at an 7.3 IDI, need some opinions...

JoeB

Reaction score
I'll be looking at a 1990 f350 this weekend. It's a crew cab, 5spd, 4wd, long bed. It has 431,000 miles on the naturally aspirated 7.3. It has a red cab and a purple truck bed :/ he is asking $1500

The truck is not running right now. The owner says he bought a newer truck so he let his son drive it for 4 months and it did fine. His son then bought a new truck and this one just sat for a while and now it wont start. it has been sitting for 7 months total now.

He says he believes its the fuel pump (but who knows what he knows or how he diagnosed that). And if we charge the dead batteries it still cranks but wont start. And he said he put new glow plugs in it a couple years ago.

I haven't dabbled much with diesels, and I've never played with a 7.3. So I dont know if 431k is just too much or not.

I understand there are a lot of factors with this and not much can be decided just reading about a truck. But im just looking for personal opinions here.

So, my question to you fellas is, do you think this is something I should pursue buying and fixing? Or would you find the situation sketchy?

I dont need tons of power or modifications. Just a reliable ol' truck that I can pile the family in and haul a small/medium sized trailer on occasion.

I appreciate your .02c and any info

Thanks,

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of miles, but not necessarily a deal breaker. I'd be more concerned about how much the guy knows about these engines. For example, SCA additives in the coolant, the only good glow plugs (Beru) and stuff like that. There is a ton of info available on this forum. Check the stickies and the tech section and you should be able to make an informed decision.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Sounds really suspect about "not running". Then add the 413,000 miles and that might be too much to invest in. Next time you look at this rig see what levels the fuel tanks are at. If they are near 1/4 tank of diesel I suspect this is the broken suction line issue. Our fuel tanks suction shower head breaks off and the last 1/4 tank of fuel can't be sucked out. So adding say 5 gallons of diesel may get this rig to start. This is the easy way of proving this issue. If you do try again to start this rig see if any fuel squirts out of the filter housing schrader valve. Thats the tire valve stem looking thing on the top of the fuel filter housing. As for needing repairs I feel its going to need an injection pump and injectors..The feelings here is anything over bout 150,000 miles and the pump and injectors are well worn out.

lude and rude

Reaction score
sounds like it could need a lot of attention. 431k is quite a bit of mileage. but not uncommon for the old idi world. questions to ask are:

is he original owner? is it original engine? transmission?
when it doesnt start is it because it wont crank (turn over)? turns over but wont fire off?

i would start there. because it could be a different engine then original which then leads me to more of a chance to buy it.

next thing is rust. i live in southern oregon and these old rigs dont have rust on them unless lived on coast. plus the market right now is cheap on these old trucks (not really the crews thou).

your probably looking at replacing like everyone stated the injection pump and injectors. at that time replace the return line kit. than glow plugs. and all the fluids and fuel filter and probably the fuel pump. your looking at spending close to what you paid for the rig. this is assuming everything else is in good shape. but at 431k your probably looking at steering components and shocks as well.

just my .02 cents, i would look else where because for 500 more you could possibly get a running/driving one especially because summer is right around bend and trucks sell for cheaper starting now. i acquired a 89 f250 with turbo and 5 speed ext cab 4wd for 1600 in march. it ran and drove good. so the deals are out there just got to look.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought an 87 6.9 and don't know the mileage. It had some starting issues and I ended up doing the glow plugs, GP harness, return lines, and an electric fuel pump. It seems to start just fine now. We will see what another week of driving brings. With what you are looking at, depending on age and wear, you may have a lot of service work to do on it to make it road worthy for longer trips.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Manual 4x4s are always in high demand, F350s, so it has the potential to be a good deal. That said, I wouldn't pay that much for a non-running truck, unless I knew what it would take to get it running.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for an experienced mechanic, the deal is a "Ray Charles" deal. I'd make the seller feel good by offering just a little below asking, but I will be leaving with the truck, keys and title.
what you need to be is honest with yourself and ask yourself do you have the time and more importantly skills to bring it back to life.
the nice fallback, is if you get frustrated, you will be able to part this truck and make a profit in doing so.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's a "Ray Charles" deal example. Cummins power CC chevy dually. Seller asking $2500 paid $2000
going truck buying with me can be a real adventure.
towtrucks, cash, guns, and cops. plus one homeless druggie. :O

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would buy it and use the dana 60 and 4x4 zf5 under a running truck that needs a new tranny.

JoeB

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'll still go look at it just cause I told him I will. But I'm definitely not quite as enthusiastic now about the deal. I appreciate all the help

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought this same truck for a grand but it ran... with a 460 and a bad headgasket.
the lowerend of that 460 wasn't bad so I junked the rest of the engine
sold the tranny for 300. sold the bald ass 37's for 200, the steering column for 100. the front sheet metal went to a friend. the lumber rack I sold for 140.
sold the front seat for 50.
I used the rear of the cab to build a 6 door,
chassis and axles went under a 63 chero.
so for around 200, I got a matching set of axles, a frame and countless parts....
get it, and if its too big of a project, find a nice running 2wd and convert it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online